Pages

Friday, December 12, 2014

These are a few of my favorite things: Holiday Movies.

It is that time of year again, when we are surrounded by family, friends and...

Movies.

Yes that is right, it is the time when we find ourselves rushing to the theaters to check out those holiday films and decide if they are worthy enough to be added to our favorite holiday movie list of the kind we find ourselves going back to year after year.

We all have our favorites. Whether it be of the classics or the contemporary kind. Some are actual holiday themed and filled and others are not so much. But we all have them. And yes I too have my favorites, and since tis the season what better time than to share what is on my favorite holiday movie list.

1. Love Actually.

Let me begin by saying, this is one of my favorite movies of all time. I find Hugh Grant brilliant as the Prime Minister, I love Liam Nesson as a widow with a stepson, I love Laura Linney as a single woman. And the Prime Ministers girlfriend is absolutely adorable. Ye I love the cast, I love the theme and the accents. It is just one of those movies that you can't help but fall in love with. I know they tried to do the same sort of thing in Valentine's Day and New Years Eve, neither of which seemed to have the same sort of appeal to me as this one does Perhaps because nothing makes me want to cry more than knowing that love actually is all around. And is out there for anyone.

2. Rent

OK so perhaps this is not technically a holiday movie. But it is based around Christmas, which means I classify it as such. I love musicals. Not surprising in the household I grew up in where we played Annie in our basement on a regular basis. And this movie, while I admit probably doesn't do the real show justice (I never saw the actual stage production) is still one of those movies that reminds me of the meaning of friends, family and love. Perfect for the holidays. And those voices, how can you not love them?


3. Les Miserables

Again, technically not a holiday movie but there is something about it that makes me want to watch it during the holidays.  Maybe some of the casting could have been a bit better, but that does not take away from the fabulous of the movie, the lyrics and the scenery. Do not tell me you did not feel anything when Anne Hathaway was belting out "I Dreamed a Dream" Or when Samantha Barks was singing "On My Own" (which is my favorite song). Because I know I did. Confession, I could be a bit biased as this is my favorite musical of all time. But never the less....

4. Home Alone

The original. Because, well how can you not think of the holidays without thinking of Kevin McCallister and parents who left without him. It is a classic without a doubt.It is one of those movies you can pop in during July and still enjoy. And unlike some of the other movies listed, it is one that the entire family can enjoy together.

5. Rudolf the Red Nosed Reindeer

Probably my favorite "classic" movie.  Or rather TV special. I love the stuffy voices, the style of claymation. The message behind it. Really it is one of those movies that you find as a kid and sticks with you as you grow in to an adult. It is a fabulous little show that I am thrilled to say my son is finally old enough to enjoy and fall in love with. And will for years to come.

And there you have it some of my must watch movies during the season.

Happy holiday movie watching!!!

No comments: