Pages

Monday, November 24, 2014

Day 24: I am thankful for Gary, the committee and the process.

"Some diamonds need a little more time to shine. But that does not mean they don't sparkle."
-Aleisha M. 

Today, my thank you may be a bit strange. Because less than 48 hours ago I received the 'this is not your year.' email from the very same people I am about to thank.

Last year I received the same sort of no letter while I was in the middle of a bus. This year I got it while my husband and I were on our way out the door to meet a friend for her birthday dinner. I think I did a lot better holding the tears back this year. Though fully admit, there were tears shed. Thankfully, it was dark enough that I did not have to hide my tears behind my sunglasses and I was not in the middle of a crowded bus. The same rules apply this year as they did last year in the sense that you can try and prepare yourself for the rejection (which is not so much of a rejection as a not your year. And believe me it is the best not your year letter you will ever receive, trust me on this one). But no matter how prepared you are, the truth of the matter is this, one can truly never be.

And just as much as I am sad, I still find myself happy for those that were selected. They will do amazing things in the year to come, and I am thrilled to have gotten to know a lot of them. They are going to rock the panel. I still consider many of them friends, and look forward to cheering them on as they start their journey.

But of course this is a thank you post. So I wanted to say this. I am thankful for Gary and his incredible team. I have learned so much about myself in the process of the past two years. I have grown so much as a person in the past two years than I have in awhile. And I continue to. They may not realize it, but they have helped a lot in so many ways.  So because of that, thank you Gary and the judging committee.

If you do not know anything about the Disney Parks Moms Panel, know this. The community is amazing. The support and friendships made are like nothing else. Where else can you come back year after year and still walk away thinking positive and hopeful for the future. 

Once again I was asked if I would do it again, and once again I will say yes. I will. You can bet I will be back. I will continue to grow, to improve to work on things and will be stronger next year. I look forward to perfecting my answers, learning from my mistakes, and correcting them. I do not look at this as a failure, but rather more time to perfect and grow from it. I will not give up, nor will I stop spreading the joy of assisting others. Because maybe this year was not my time. Not my year.

But maybe next year, well maybe next year? It just may be. 

1 comment:

Jlomo23 said...

Here, here! I couldn't have conveyed that better myself. I look forward to continuing the journey with you and your great attitude, Aleisha! (a.k.a. J'Aleisha)