Pages

Friday, August 22, 2014

So long summer....

And just like that we have come to the end of summer. Did you blink? I think I did. Because I am beginning to wonder how this happened. I know for a fact it was Memorial Day yesterday.

OK so maybe not.

But somehow I am finding it hard to believe that a week from now we will be heading into the long Labor Day weekend.

There was something special about this one however. It is the summer that as a parent I have been somewhat dreading for the past six in so many ways.For in the past I have watched as summer faded into fall without little change besides the weather. But come this year, the day after Labor Day I will be just another parent sending her son off to school.

Kindergarten to be exact. Yes I am already working on a blog for that one. Yes it will probably be written through tear soaked cheeks and blurry eyes. Don't say I didn't warn you.

I realize that many are excited for their kids to go back. Some even wish for the years to pass quickly so they can get their houses, and their own lives back. And how many coworkers are cheering that their little ones have grown up, off to college and are no longer around. Or if they are close enough to finishing, they are counting down the days until they are out of the house for good. How could they think this? As it is, It is a thought that at the moment I can't even comprehend.  Nor do I want to. Yes perhaps one day I will be one of those as well. 

Bur as I watch my son grow and turn into a little kid, a young man really; the only thing I wish for is one more day of childhood with him. How I  wish he would stay this sweet little loving boy a little longer. 

Just one day more.

And as we approach the final week of summer maybe we should not push the years ahead of us. Rather we should enjoy the fleeting moments of this year. Of this summer while we can.

Because as we know it, the years? They fly by too quickly.

Embrace the time you have.

No comments: