Pages

Saturday, January 11, 2014

Why I blog

Ever wonder why one blogs? For some its educational, to get the word out on a specific topic. Some do it to keep in contact with family,  taking them on a journey through the years posting pictures, reports and odd and end of day-to-day life. While others, I believe, hope to get their name out, earn money and become a successful writer. And still others view it as just another job. None of these reasons are horrible. I know several who do a little of each and absolutely love it. There is no shame in any of the reasons to blog.

So why do I blog? I was asked this the other day. Is there something that draws me in to it over another? Do I do it to become popular? Because surely isn’t blogging one huge popularity contest?

I suppose it is. Though I have never felt the need to be so. I will not lie; I am thrilled when people read. There is some sort of satisfaction that comes from knowing people enjoy my writing, and my thoughts. But at the same time, I did not start out to become the biggest blogger around. Just the same, I realize and recognize that not everyone is going to like the way you write, what you have to say or find what you write about to be all that wonderful. I do not and will not hold that against them.

As for money?  Or fame? No, I do not earn money for blogging. I do not do this as my day job and while I would love to think I have people who read and enjoy my endless amount of rambling, thoughts and input, I am in no way famous for it either.   
So then why? The answer is simply that I enjoy it and love to write. It should come to no surprise to anyone that I do. I was one of those kids who kept a journal growing up. I wrote in it every day in fact for most of my childhood. I still keep one to this day, though not on a daily basis as I had before.

And I blog because I love to share things I know, whether it is in regards to parting, or my endless amount of Disney World travel knowledge or hockey. And occasional I love to share my poetry, which at times can be on a bit of the terrible and embarrassing side. But nonetheless I share it anyway.

I always thought blogging would help prepare for my career in writing. I toyed with journalism for about a half minute, but have never really had a desire to do that kind of writing. Rather, my work and my aspiration have been on the creative writing side.  If blogging should ultimately help, then so be it.

I do so because it is fun. It is not work or a chore. No one makes me do it. No one tells me to do it. Rather it is something that I look forward to doing. It is my escape. It is my own corner of the world, my own voice.   

Perhaps that is enough reason.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm reading and enjoyed this post. Sometimes I wonder if we are just writing to the air, but it really doesn't matter if it is something that bring us joy.

Jen Iapalucci said...

Great post! I have a strange relationship with my blog. I love to write, I love to capture my thoughts and memories and I'm thrilled when posts really demonstrate what I consider "my voice." Nothing pleases me more than seeing my posts get a couple of readers, and comments? Fuggedaboutit. But as much as I love being read, I have a very hard time sharing my blog (or the blog I had before it) with anyone I actually know in person. Very few of my friends and family even know I have a blog. I am trying to convince myself to be more open, but for now I am glad there are internet friends I can share bloglove with :)

Aleisha said...

Thank you for reading, and I must say both of your comments have been interesting as I have felt the same. At times I find it is is a fine line between wanting to share and yet keeping myself shut. And it has not been until recently that I have even shared more openly to friends and family myself. But