Pages

Thursday, January 23, 2014

On furthering my education

I was asked had I thought about a Masters program yet. My first thought-besides a bunch of big girl words that is- was really?  Like I need another five years of hitting the books, ignoring my family on a Saturday afternoon and working my schedule to fit a class in here and there. Let’s not even mention the whole financial aspect of it at the moment.

It is not that I hadn’t thought about it, or that I don’t know the value in getting a Master’s degree. Because yes I do, believe me when I say I know.  I have worked in HR long enough to see the transition from only needing a Bachelors, to a mandatory Masters. I know it is almost not enough to get the Bachelors these days. It is kind of sad if you think about it. I wonder five years from now if we will all have to be walking around shooting for those PHDs. 

But at the same time, it has taken me twice as long to get that Bachelor’s degree as most. I am still in school, and still have 6 classes to go to even get that. I do not plan on, nor do I want to be in school for the next two decades in order to get a Masters. I am speaking the truth here when I say; if or rather when I graduate I will be lucky enough. I will consider it a huge accomplishment in its own right.  

Nor do I find the need to get a Masters to prove something. I am pretty sure I am doing so just by continuing on as it is. As someone who was told she would never go to college, the fact that I still am means a lot to me. Maybe getting a Masters is important to some, and if it I truly support and respect your decision. I commend you for it. I think it is an amazing accomplishment that you should be proud of.

Yes perhaps it will mean my chances of landing that huge ass raise are greater. And I am pretty sure it will advance my career in ways I am not even imagining. However to me, that doesn’t matter. Money is great, but ultimately it is not everything in life. 

But if you were to ask me at this very moment what I truly thought about it? I will tell you this, sitting sideline cheering on my son while he plays hockey, or scores that goal in soccer, or the piano or whatever he chooses to do; well that seems to be worth so much more than a piece of paper validating that I spent so much money on my education. 

Those are the moments; my education and the time spent on it can’t buy. 

And that is the truth.

No comments: