Pages

Friday, November 1, 2013

Blogember challenge day 1: One of the best lessons life has shown you.

Life is short. Cherish the moments. If you were to ask me three years ago if I thought I would have been through 2 car accidents, and 3 emergency surgeries. I would have probably shrugged it off and said yeah right.

Little did I know what life had in store. I had bought a brand new car, so new that it had yet to be registered on Kelly Blue book. I had just made my first payment on it, on a hot Sunday in August we decided to go for a drive, Anderson and I trying to figure out whose car it would be. His old beat up Protege, or my new Sonata. For some reason, we chose mine.  I loaded my son then 1, and my husband into the car, we made plans with my parents to have dinner with them when a kid started texting and ran a red light. The brand new car saved our lives, as the car was completely totaled. Had it not been for taking that new car, we would have lost our lives as the entire front of the car became unattached.

 I was grateful then for our lives but didn't realize this was only the tip of an iceberg.

Six months later as I made my way home on a Friday night, my stomach began to hurt, I ignored it until I could no longer the pain was worse than childbirth! Before I knew it my husband and I found ourselves in the hospital, prepping me for emergency surgery by the end of the weekend. What would follow was a week and a half stay in the hospital, my colon had decided to  tie itself up in knots. While I  tried to be brave the entire time, I admit I was out of my mind scared, an hour later and who knows what would have happened.

It would happen two more times that year. And two more rounds of surgeries and stays in the hospital. I would lose 15-30 Ibs within that amount. While I hate to admit it, that first time leaving the hospital I had gotten down to 80 Ibs. I lost most of my colon, and work. It was not one of my finest years.

I am healed and doing well, though the weight still hasn't all come back on, my eating habits still haven't either. But that year taught me a lot. It taught me not to take anything for granted. It taught me that no matter what someone looks like on the outside, you can still be pretty sick. Believe me I was skinny, I got some crazy looks....it taught me that I could have lost even more and not been with us today....

Now I take the time to enjoy the moments that I have. A lazy day on the beach, a quiet moment after little man has gone to bed. Things like this. I realize life is too short. Things happen. Just this morning as I prepared to write this, word got out that I lost a dear friend of the family. She was 38.  I sat quietly in my cube, remembering her and wishing for more moments with her. 

We don't know what life has in store for us, so we need to make the most of the time. And all of this, because I had some major pains in my stomach. Imagine that.

No comments: