Pages

Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Pumpkin Cupcakes w/ pumpkin spiced cream cheese frosting: An allergy free review

My results.
By now many know my household is filled with allergies. Beef, pork and dairy for me. Little man has unfortunately inherited the dairy allergy. While it is a pain, it is manageable and we make the most out of living with and around them. This also means we eat a lot of chicken, turkey and fish.

What we don't eat a lot of are sweets. Mainly because its hard to find dairy free options that actually taste halfway decent. Believe me we have tried our fair share.

But allergy issues are making themselves known more and more these days-thankfully neither of us are allergic to peanuts.-I do not know if the world is just catching up to the fact allergies exist, or if they truly are on the rise. For whatever reason that they are, means you have a lot more people trying to come up with allergy friendly recipes for those us who would have never been able to come up with it on our own own. I came across Skinnytaste by pure accident one afternoon last fall, and since then, the family hasn't turned back. We use it for everything from a weekend meal, to holiday goodies. Everything on there is either healthy, allergy friendly or diet friendly but none of it lacks the bland taste that offers little to be desired. Believe me, we have yet to find a recipe that has disappointed us. Including my very skeptic husband. And he likes it, well you know its a winner.

A couple of weekends ago, in attempt to get into the festive mood I came across the recipe for Pumpkin cupcakes with pumpkin spiced frosting and decided to give it a try.

I found the recipe easy enough to follow, simple enough to understand for beginners. I would recommend definitely  using the brands that is mentioned as they worked well and we didn't have an issue at all. After mixing, pouring  them into the pan-make sure to fill only about 2/3's no more than halfway up- we slide them in, it calls for between 20-25 minutes, we went with 22 minutes and found it to be just right.

Before to long the kitchen was smelling amazing. You could smell the pumpkin right away.  We then worked on the icing, which is optional and clearly not dairy free but we wanted to have the option for those that weren't allergic.

And when we pulled them out, they looked amazing. When cooled off we began to ice them, I would recommend using only a minimal amount on each, enough to have a taste. It became overpowering and to much if there was a lot. I however enjoyed them without the icing a little more, but either way I don't think you will go wrong.

If I did have any criticism it would be this, you can't eat just one. Seriously they were to good to just let sitting. And if you are wanting to put the candy corn on them, wait until the icing and the cupcake have definitely cooled off as they melted the candy before too long.

And as for Logan's review this is what you get: 'Mommy they taste like pumpkin pie almost! Delicious!!!'

Whether you have a specific allergy or looking for a new fall favorite, these are definitely worth the effort and sure to be a hit.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

It is unbelievable how common allergies seem nowadays. I only really became aware of food allergies when my nephew was diagnosed with a severe peanut allergy. The whole family is so careful now when he's around.

Those cupcakes look amazing! I'm such a big fan of pumpkin. Yum!