Pages

Sunday, March 24, 2013

Aftermath

I came into the office Friday not knowing what to expect. Other than this. By the end of the day some of us would not have a job. Myself could be included. And while I had prepared myself, giving myself 'the talk' and had discussions with my husband about it-including a for warning that I may be calling him to pick me up the moment he dropped me off-truth was, I was scared.

I don't think anyone could truly prepare themselves for it. Even if you know its coming and there is a potential that it could be you. At the end of the day, you don't want it to be you. And yet, at the same time you know that if it isn't you then it could be the person beside you who is planning a wedding. Or the girl in accounting who is expecting another baby. And she is a single mother.  It doesn't make it any easier.

I made my way back to my desk, it was the longest walk that I could take for a Friday. The office didn't even feel the same. I turned on my computer thinking, and wondering if I should even attempt. I almost expected them to come and get me.  And when the receptionist called to ask if I could come sit for her, I ran into two of the unlucky ones. Neither could look me in the eye. And I didn't blame them. What do you say at a moment like that?

Slowly names began to fly around the office of those that were let go. With each there seemed to be a quiet moment for them and a question of why. We knew why. But still it didn't make it any better.

By noon it was all said and done. Those that were let go had been informed and where already on their way home.  Leaving the office is an eerie sort of silence. I can't even begin to describe how things were because, well no one could. It was just odd. Silent, unhappy even. Most people walked around trying to avoid one another. While conference calls went on and business attempted to get back to a sort of normal, the realization of what had just happened loomed over everyone.

One by one people made excuses to take off early. Can't say I blamed them.

And while they all left I sat at my desk looking around.
Thankful that I had a job for one more day.


No comments: