Pages

Monday, October 22, 2012

A new appreciation

This morning I came in to the news that a coworker down the row from me was given the news, come Wednesday he would no longer be employed.
 
 While I don't know the full specifics of it, by my guess he did not see it coming. And for some reason this made me stop and really think. After all, I sit here patiently waiting for news on what could be great-fingers crossing-and while I may hold my breath I know that either way I do have a job. Sure at times I may bitch about it, grip about and think lord help me if I have to wake up one more morning. But for the moment, I don't have to pack up my stuff and worry about where the next pay check is going to come from.

For some reason the news just made me really think. Because I know, this could in fact happen to anyone. At any time. It could be Andy, or me or anyone. 

You just never know.

And I don't have a wife who stays home with my six kids. Like this gentlemen did. I can't even begin to imagine what that conversation around the dinner table is going to be like tonight. I wanted to do something for him, even though in reality I know I couldn't. What do you say, I'm sorry doesn't seem right. Neither does the we wish you well. Words at the moment don't see right I suppose. They did offer him a two week pay, though even that didn't seem like a great gift.

I left this evening thinking of that coworker, and for the first time in awhile I realized things could surely be a lot worse than they truly are....

No comments: