Pages

Sunday, June 10, 2012

Cabin Fever

When it comes to weekend getaways I am fairly lucky.  With my own parents owning a house in North Carolina and my in-laws a cabin in the woods of West Virginia, if the family and I ever need an escape from the DC area it is pretty safe to say we are in fact only a car drive away.

Like this weekend. When we left the suburbs, packed up the car and headed west.  Admittedly we don't get out there as often as we should, or like for that matter. But when we do its always relaxing.

I grew up in the 80s-I was born in the 80s.-long after television, telephone and most modern technology came around. While I do remember a time when the internet was not around, and we had to find other ways to entertain us, for the most part I took the luxuries of always having some kind of electronics if not on, then around.

And yet when we are at the cabin it is often as if we have warped into the past.  To a time when things like a television is not in every room and the only reason there is a telephone is for emergencies. Yes that is right. The only TV they have is in the basement and its only use is for the rare occasion or when the weather calls for it, and even at that it only plays DVDs and Wii. But for the most part, if you want to find something to do, you best pick up a book, pull out a boardgame or take a ride in my father in laws mule.

I would love to say this is my dream, my escape from reality. But I would be lying if I said this. While its wonderful to get away, and a great place to get away from it all at the same time I don't think I could stand it much past the two days that we are there. Don't get me wrong, I love the fact there is nothing up there and I don't have to turn anything on. At the same time, the lack of anything to do would get to me after so many days of doing just that.

But for the weekend. Its quite fabulous.

No comments: