Pages

Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Kiss the day goodbye.

Kissed goodbye to summer yesterday. Well unofficially that is. Yes I know the official end doesn't come for another two weeks. But you of course would never know this by the looks of it. I stepped out of the house this morning, to the cool fresh autumn air. There was a chill about it that wasn't there yesterday. I thank the lucky stars I decided to wear a long sleeve shirt today for I knew the office wouldn't cut off the A/C right away. As I climbed into the car, and watched as sleepy high schoolers lights flicked on, the earliest they had flicked on since June I couldn't help but recall that not so long ago time when I was doing the same thing.

I never thought about it then, but looking back it always amazed me how the air felt different the day after Labor day. It was as if someone knew that it wasn't exactly supposed to be summer anymore. A welcome back to reality I suppose.  I admit, I was one of those kids that always looked forward to the start of the new year, though not for the weather.

Then again I lived for summer vacations. Who didn't? It was sad to see them come to an end. Even if I am not in school anymore, and work full time. It is still sad to see them come to an end.

We slide on to the intestate, cars that have been left behind all summer suddenly seemed to be back on the road. The kids aren't the only ones returning from lazy vacations. I don't look forward to the extra long commute, I wish for the summer to be back. Outside it starts to rain, my son behind me starts to sing 'Its raining its pouring.' Three years from now, he to will be among those heading off to school.

I sigh a little at the thought. I am so not ready.

Beside me Andy drives, mumbling something about the weather how he is looking forward to it. Hockey season starts in two weeks from tonight.

I will lose my husband.

Andy drops me off at my office, he has the week off. I wave goodbye to my son, and my husband and head into my office. Knowing the next time any of us will have off.

It will be summer.

No comments: