Pages

Wednesday, August 17, 2011

A Wicked good time.


I was brought up on musicals. Thanks in part to my older sister who got the acting bug early on, and never looked back. To this day she still satisfies her acting bug by acting in Raleigh's Little Theatre productions and teaches Musical Theatre in the Raleigh area.

So where am I going?

Right, as I have said I was brought up on musicals. I love them, I cherish them and if it wasn't for the fact I have not one ounce of singing ability-I wasn't the lucky one-I too probably would be doing something around theatre.

Still that doesn't mean I won't enjoy a good musical. And yesterday I was blessed with the opportunity to see one of the hottest shows around-Wicked. I had heard really great things about it, but after reading the book, which I quickly gave up on, I wasn't so sure. I mean sure I knew it was going to be good, but was it going to be great? Was it going to live up the hype I had for so long heard about?

The answer: It was positively Wickedly awesome.

The cast was amazing, the vocal talent was beyond anything I could dream about and they did a great job intertwining the classic story of the Wizard of OZ into it. I thought the little lines in the dialogue made for quite an entertaining evening, and show that any one can enjoy. Including the not so willing husbands who often get dragged to such things. Though I have to admit, I am a very lucky lady, whose husband actually wanted to see it.

As for the singing, incredible. Really, such powerful and strong voices, both leading ladies where just out right fantastic. Including the one time that Elphabia's mic went out for a second, even from the back of the theatre where I sat, I could hear her. Not an easy task. Especially during these days of Glee, and American Idol. And autotune.

Being the sister of a theatre teacher I sat there throughout most of the night, watching and observing how the stage worked. Could she pull it off? I came to the conclusion she would probably need another ten years to do so, though I don't doubt she would be able to pull it off. Because I know she could. But its just so elaborate. The stage and the scene changes were amazing. I don't think I could rave enough about this show.

In fact the only thing I hated, was the uncomfortable seats, and the fact it had to come to an end...



No comments: