Pages

Monday, August 15, 2011

Money money money, must be funny...

My husband was raised around money.

I wasn't.

This of course often at times comes to head when it comes to financial responsibility in the household. It also happens to be a major issue and the start of the majority of our fights. It seems as though I forever worry about it. Him not so much.

I really don't think we are alone in the whole money issue/fights. Because I am pretty sure that for the better part of the couples, money seems to be the root of all evil.

So why do I worry? Because growing up, I was raised on hand-me-downs and coupons. My parents filed for bankruptcy when I was 12, I packed up everything, including my sisters stuff and helped my parents pack it into a U-haul.

It was the hardest things I think I have ever done.

And because of this, I have always had the fear of repeating it. Of going absolutely completely broke. I promised myself that I would do whatever I could to avoid it at all cost. I would be smart. I learned how to manage the money. How to save. How to do everything that my family

So when I married a man, who never had to worry about money, whose parents bought his cars it wasn't exactly the easiest of things. I was informed that I would be the one to teach the husband how to save, how to manage. Not an easy task considering for the first twenty eight years of his life he had for the most part, been taken care of.

At times it has worked, it has been a struggle but I think we are finally on the right track. We save, we are watching what we spend and for a short time all is well. And then something comes up, and we are right back to the way things were.

Its a struggle.

And just when I felt as though we were once again back on track, we have once again seemed to have fallen back off the wagon. Spending money as if we had it, not bringing lunches or rather I bring he doesn't. I have tried to explain that ten dollars here and ten dollars there, all adds up. But how do you explain to someone when they were raised so differently.

Its something that appears is going to be a constant battle.

1 comment:

eslachtdermai said...

It definitely is a massive issue amongst most people. I, like you, lived in a house where we had to worry about money. Especially when my parents got divorced, and my dad rang up every credit card they had, which gets split 50/50 in NYS in the courts. Mom had to file bankruptcy, because she just didn't make enough to pay my dad's bills that she got stuck with. We still have two years left to deal with that, and it's affected everything, all the way down to my school loans with mom as a cosigner. So I totally get it. Money is a security issue...we want to feel secure, and when we start to feel a little out of that, we panic. People who haven't lived through that kind of thing just never understand.
I guess the only words of advice I can come up with are to just remember the source and what he grew up with. He knows nothing different. I know that's not much help, but well...sadly it's all I've got. :-/