Pages

Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Post vacation blues.



I am sitting at my desk once more. How did this happen, wasn't it just yesterday that I was counting the minutes until I hit the door for a week long vacation? Wasn't I thrilled at the very thought of not being here, the idea of some time away so wonderful I pretty much danced around the office?

What happened to that? Where did that week go? Surely it didn't fly by like it seemed to have right?

Um wrong, in fact it did fly by. No matter how long it seemed to have gone while I was actually there, which I will say seemed like a really long vacation. Now that I am back among the living, it feels as though that week wasn't nearly long enough.

Welcome to post vacation blues. That's right. I said it. Haven't heard of it? What is it? Its that time right after vacation, usually the first week or two when the high of vacation is still there, and reality has just begun to sink in that in fact you are back to reality. Think about it, for so long you had something to look forward to. Sure you may have spent your days behind the desk. Slaving away punching the clock. But at the same time there was that little countdown in the back of your head. Two weeks from now, two months from now. You live for that high for so long. And then its finally here. And its time to relax.

But when you get back? Well that high isn't so high anymore. Papers are stacked waiting for you on your desk. That to do list that should have been taken care of by that assistant who said they would help, never got taken care of. Voicemail and emails flood your in box.

Welcome back.

Suddenly the time off seemed like an eternity ago. You find yourself thinking another vacation sounds good right about now.Which for many of us won't come soon enough The thought depresses me just thinking about it. You aren't exactly ready to jump back in the swing of things, and no one seems to understand when you tell them you are still on Island time.

I felt the same way coming off maternity leave in fact.

I can lie and say that I am not already thinking of the next getaway, which at this moment seems to be a trip overseas to see my brother in law and sister in law. But why should I? Because in all honesty.

That is exactly what I am doing.

And hey its only 210 days away.
Give or take.

But whose counting?

No comments: