Pages

Sunday, May 22, 2011

Blowing candles in the wind.


Last year when I blew out thirty candles I was no nervous, scared or excited. It was just another year. Unlike several others turning thirty was not something that I could have cared about. Nor did I dread it.

Of course I didn't know what laid ahead either.

1. In August, a major car crash totaled my brand new Hyundai Sonata. But my son, my husband and I all walked away from. As I watched them take the car I wondered how we could have survived.

2. Then come the end of January, I entered the ER of Reston hospital complaining of unbearable stomach pains. One emergency surgery and a week in the hospital later, I had 17 inches of a knotted colon and an appendix out.

3. I returned to work in March and was back for two and a half weeks before having the same stomach issues once again. It was back to the hospital, another surgery to fix a twisted small intestine and another week plus in the hospital.

I finally returned to work the beginning of May and by the looks of it, am in the clear. Thankfully.

Had I known then, what I know now maybe I would have dreaded turning 30 a little more after all.

But of course I didn't.

And so now, I turn 31. Once again I do not dread it, or fear it. But hoping that after what I went through at 30, 31 treats me a hell of a lot better.

Here's hoping.

No comments: