Pages

Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Wait just a minute


I write this with somewhat of a heavy heart.

You see I thought everything was back to normal. I went on an amazing vacation with just my husband, I returned to work. And I was just about to get cleared to drive, pick up my son and do everything once again without any restrictions.

Yes that is right, I was going to return to full normalcy.

But as we all know, life has a funny way of happening to us. And the day before I was to be released, I found myself sitting in a doctors office with pains, that seemed all to familiar. Granted it was not all of a sudden. In fact it had been going on for twenty four hours. Still I went on to work, hoping it would just disappear, and I would be alright. But halfway through the day, there was no end to the pain, and while I really hated to, I called the doctors office just to make sure. Later, when I entered that doctors office, puking on the way in I knew something was up. And I had a sinking feeling that not only would I not be getting approved and the restrictions lifted, but I would be returning to the hospital. Sure enough six hours after entering the doctors office my fears where confirmed and at 8:30pm on that Monday night (3/22) I found myself being checked into the Virginia Hospital Center down in Arlington VA, and by midnight I was being put through exam after exam. Again this was looking way to familiar.

By Tuesday morning, hooked up to an IV, when the surgeon came walking in, and I saw the look on his face, I knew this. I was going back into surgery. Seemed there was a kink in my lower intestines this time. A result of the first operation, and they needed to get in there to take it out. Which they did by five that evening.

I spent a lovely (ok, yeah this is my attempt to lighten things up) 8 days in the hospital, finally being discharged yesterday morning. I still smell and taste the hospital as we speak, and I fear no matter how many showers-since baths are a no, no-I take it will not do away with the place I called home for over a week.

Once again I am back to being sore, to being not able to drive and being on a month long unexpected vacation from work. And no, I can't pick up my son until after April. Not an easy task to ask of a mother who hasn't been able to do so since January.

The good news, should there be any in this case, is the fact that they were able to go in where the last surgery was, minimizing the need for that much more scaring. And while I had no intentions of being off of work, and it was not expected for the next month, I will get to spend time with my son. And while I may not exactly be able to hold him. Right now, I will gladly take that time.

Because right about now, well right about now I could use some sunshine, and little man to cheer me up.

No comments: