Pages

Friday, August 13, 2010

Inspiration comes in the most random of places.

You can't wait for inspiration, you have to go after it with a club.
Jack London

Its 10:15 in the morning on a Friday. I know what I should be doing. I should be sitting here looking over a report or to. Or setting up a meeting. Or something relating to work. But instead what do I find myself doing, sitting here typing up words to a piece of work I have been working on.

Now normally on any given day I try to avoid mixing the two. After all, work is work and my writing, is something that while I would love to turn into a career and hope/dream that one day it is I realize for the moment it doesn't exactly pay the bills.

That being said, I am not a writer that can sit down and will the words to come out. I've tried. It doesn't work. It ends up being forced and horrible. So rather I usually let them come to me. Which pretty much means, I need to start carrying around a pad of paper or invest in an Ipad. Because my ipod's notepad isn't exactly cutting it anymore.

You see while I let the words come to me, I have recognized they usually come at the most random times. Mainly when I am boarding the metro to take the commute home. No i don't know what it is about metro, because while there is quite some interesting characters its nothing earth shattering. Still whatever it is, it hits right then and there. And then I spend the rest of the trip hunched over my ipod trying to type as fast as I can while the words come. While the idea sticks.

I have every intention of running home, opening my computer and typing away for the rest of the evening. But by the time I get home. I've been in front of the computer for the better part of the day. My eighteen month old needs to get dinner, a bath and then off to bed. My husband needs a little bit of my time before we head off to bed ourselves. And those words that I worked so hard on all the way home, seem to take a back seat to the activities of daily life.

And I wonder why I have yet to finish any of the works in progress..Hmm...

Have I mentioned my two hour one way commute?

So while I know I should be doing other things while I could be doing other things. At the same time. I know faxes will still be there, the report will still get done. An email will still get sent. All things that can wait a few more minutes.

Words on the other hand, don't wait.

No comments: