Pages

Thursday, August 5, 2010

A different kind of Disney Vacation

This is my mom

And while I could sit here and do the typical trip report, I figured for day three I will tell a fabulous story about her, the trip and a side of Disney most have probably never considered.

Lets talk about my mom. After all my exsistence on this Earth wouldn't be possible without her. Four months ago my mom was on her way to work as a local county public school bus driver. She stopped to get some coffee at the 7-11 around the corner when she tripped on a mat and fell face first into a sports car. In doing so, she tore all but one of her ligaments in her rotatory cuff. She has yet to return to work, and goes into surgery tomorrow morning. We were kind of skeptical she would even come with us, because she has needless to say been pretty down and out of it. Between worrying about the surgery, and suffering through the pain I suppose I wouldn't have blamed her if she had changed her mind. But alas, she wanted to go. After two years of planning she said that this was the one thing in the past few months that had actually been keeping her going. This of course was exciting, and and wonderful but I have to be honest here. I think we were a bit nervous that she wouldn't have a good time. I feared she wouldn't find anything to do. That she would be cooped up in the hotel room while the rest of the gang went out. And that isn't the sort of Disney vacation I dreamt of for her, or for anyone really.

We knew we would have to take things a lot slower however. We knew we wouldn't exactly be hitting the parks every hour with her. Which is fine because my mom isn't exactly the ride type of person. So on that Monday my mom pulled out the activity guide at Animal Kingdom Lodge and found there were ceramics. She asked if we had even known about the activities at the resorts. Sure we knew about them but we had never participated in them. But we were willing to give it a try since we like to do different things with each trip.

Now if you have never done this, that is done any activities at the resorts I advise you to. Especially if you aren't the thrill/ride kind of person.

The Animal Kingdom Lodge offered both ceramics and jewelery making every other day. Monday was ceramics. Located in the Simba Club House, at Jumbo house we were greeted by two cordinators that supervised the ceramics. They offer anything from Mickey ornaments, to a Buzz Lightyear bank, to a Mickey Chip and Dip bowl. I must admit I was quite impressed not only with the selection of pieces but the prices. Up in Northern Virginia my husband and I have done ceramics but have stopped in recent due to the prices. But at Disney, all we had to pay for was the piece.

On this day my mom choose to do a mug.

The coordinators-Michele and Hillaree-I have to say were beyond impressive. Friendly and accommodating they made sure my mom was taken care of, even helping her get the colors and all so my mom wouldn't have to get up and down from her already painful state. By the end of the week we actually got to know them very well, but thats another story.


After the coordinators say the results of this mug, they asked her to create one for their showcase.






I know painting and doing ceramics isn't most peoples ideal Disney vacation, but as I watched my mom sitting there painting, it occurred to me. Maybe she wasn't doing the rides and spending hours in the park. But she was having a wonderful time. She was enjoying herself, and she was in her element. And while this may not be everyone's ideal Disney vacation, this was her Disney vacation.

No comments: