Pages

Wednesday, March 17, 2010

To wear green or not that is the question.

Ah St. Patty's day.

A day to drink, believe in leprechauns, and wear green. A day when you claim your Irish even when your not. Because that's what the cool kids do. And while green is in fact my favorite color, I did not by any means of form wear one thing that was green. Unless of course you consider my socks.

Now some may consider this to be unspirited. Perhaps I am. But the way I see it, I am not exactly Irish. Sure I have the slight bit in me that everyone claims they do. My socks could probably cover it. So if I am no Irish, why should I celebrate a holiday that I don't even understand?

I mean truly, what exactly are we celebrating, I guarantee you there will be celebrating the praying to the porcelain gods, enough to actually believe there are such things as leprechauns and pots of golds at the end of every rainbow. But beyond that, what are we celebrating.

St. Patrick?

Does any average American even know who he is? Even after looking him up, I didn't really understand who he was. Besides some important monarch in ireland back centuries ago.

So maybe because of this, I didn't exactly feel the need to wear green. I admit it helped the fact that I own one shirt appropriate enough for work attire, and I just happened to wear it yesterday. A total duh moment on my part I have to say. Still even so, I doubt I would have rushed right out to buy something in the beautiful shade of green because I am not Irish, I shouldn't have to feel as though I am forced to partake in the spirit of the fabricated holiday.

Because I don't think I need an excuse to wear green. Do I exactly need a reason? Shouldn't I be able to wear green whenever I want, and not just on a day that is more important in another country?

Or does the fact that it is St. Pattys day, give me more the reason to wear the color for fear of getting pinched by random strangers?

No comments: