Pages

Saturday, March 27, 2010

Four months to go.

Three years ago, my husband Andy and I had this crazy idea of taking a family vacation down to Disney. We had just returned from the World, for the second year in a row. Excited we came home and immediately brought the idea to the family. Convincing them that we needed this, after all how many times had we talked about a trip as a family? How many times had we sat there watching the Merry Christmas Parade and said, you know one of these years we should all go back down. And how many times had we all wished to go back down.

It took awhile, but after some coaxing, Andy doing his typical sales pitch and money crunching-which thanks to our recent purchase into the Disney Vacation Club (ie-DVC) we assured them that it would actually be affordable-we finally managed to get everyone on board. Including my never going to fly mother.

Three years ago, July 2010 seemed so far away. We had time to get things together to figure out what we wanted to do etc...We in fact went a full year without so much of a mention of it. Andy and I even began to wonder if the idea we brought to the table would even turn into anything other than a fleeting thought.

At a year mark we decided to through it back on the table, did my family even remember the idea? To our surprise, they did and were all in. Planning shortly followed....

Ah yes, July 2010 still seemed far away and yet so much closer. And now, its the end of March, we just passed the four months to go mark. Dinning reservations have been set, thanks to our points everyone's accommodations have been set. Things are beginning to take form.

And yet.

At four months out, I feel as though its a lot more work than we ever thought. While my husband and I have our plane tickets-lil man still doesn't require one-no one else seems to be to concerned. Our meals may be planned, but not paid for. And while Andy and I have our annual passes, I don't think the rest have even thought about it to much. We continue to warn them about the costs because while we are taking care of the accommodations they have to take care of everything else, which isn't exactly cheap. Andy is afraid of sticker shock. Of them walking up to the counter and not expecting the near thousand dollar bill. Can almost see one or two of them barking at someone because they didn't exactly realize it was going to cost this much.

Because no matter how many times I may tell them, half the time I wonder if they are even truly listening. After all with four months to go, why should they worry about paying for anything?

Either that or them completely backing out on the entire thing which may suck but wouldn't surprise me at the same time. I think we have almost prepared for it. Just in case.

But they better not say I didn't warn them.

No comments: