Pages

Monday, February 2, 2015

To Logan on his 6th birthday.

Logan and "Miss Nancy!"
6 years ago as I was leaving the hospital they told me not to blink. Apparently I didn't listen because I did and the time somehow has flown right on by. Today, my little man, you are six! Even as I write it the number seems strange to me. Not that I didn't know it was coming, after all I have had a whole year to prepare for it. But it amazes me that we are already here!

This past weekend as we were getting ready to put the final touches on your party you turned to me and said you couldn't wait to be 13. And while I am sure you can't, please don't rush it. Enjoy your childhood. Enjoy being a little boy for as long as you can. Not because I don't want you to grow up (though I would be lying if I didn't admit there is a part of me that truly doesn't) but because childhood truly does go by that fast. Why rush it even more?

Because I love looking at your face when you talk about Disney World, I love watching you count down and get all excited about it. I know this will not always last. Because at six, you can still play with cars and Lego sets and Ovi can still be your best friend and no one thinks anything of it.

Don't rush it.

Don't rush wishing for the school year to end. True the summer awaits, as does the magical trip. But it has been amazing to watch you bloom this year as your knowledge expands. Listening to you go on and on about your daily activities, whether it be about Columbus, Addition/Subtraction or hanging out at the playground with Dylan while at the dinner table is something I look forward to on a daily basis. Your smarts may scare me, but it also makes me incredibly proud as your mom to know you are exceptionally bright.

Just as much as knowing that those qualities I loved as a toddler continue to carry on through your childhood. The kind, compassionate and empathetic toddler is now the same compassionate, caring and empathetic little boy who seems to touch every one around him. I don't just say this because I'm your mom, but you are an amazing little boy, with an amazing heart. Believe me when I say that years from now this will not go unnoticed.

So yes, little man, 13 will be here soon enough. But in the meantime, enjoy 6 and all the magical moments that the year will bring.

No comments: