Pages

Monday, October 27, 2014

A fall family weekend.

This image is not her own.
This past weekend I did not focus on research,  blog posting, nor did I focus on the DisneyMP application I had submitted on Friday night for round 2 (OK, maybe I thought about it a little) but rather I focused on my son, my husband, and spending the weekend as a family.

Believe it or not, we forget how important this is.

Usually we enjoy a family festive weekend around the holidays, a weekend where it is just the three of us. We make cookies, go out and see Santa, that sort of thing. But this year we figured why not make a weekend enjoying the autumn? And so we did. Both my husband and I put down our phones, (with the exception of picture taking) grabbed our son and made our way out to a local barn for pumpkin picking and cider tasting. Little man did a fabulous job at picking the awesome pumpkins, but not so much the cider as he had determined it was not something for him. Never the less, we enjoyed a beautiful Saturday in late October exploring the grounds of the barn and the treasures it had with it.

But this was not just a one day event, nor the main event. That was saved for Sunday when we decided it would be a whole lot of fun to spend a huge amount of time in the kitchen baking cookies, carving pumpkins and enjoying the giggles of a 5-year-old as he gets ready to celebrate one of his favorite holidays.

And yes we spent the day in pajamas because, hey why not? Every now and then I find this to be totally acceptable, especially when you look at the clock and its already past five and you figure by this point, well what's the use in changing? Perhaps days like these are even needed. The joy out of his face all day clearly made me feel like the decision not to pull him away from cookie decorating was well worth it.

So perhaps we had to clean the kitchen five thousand times and the blog post was only roughly started. Sometimes these things are insignificant in the long run.

And sometimes, there are more important things than making sure a kid's bedroom is spotless.



No comments: