Pages

Monday, September 1, 2014

To my Jedi Logan, on the eve of Kindergarten.

Well my young Jedi. Here we are, on the eve of your next great big adventure.  

Kindergarten.

Yes, that's right. Tomorrow you will wake up and to you it may be just another day. But to me? Well everything changes. No longer will you be my little loving Star Wars fan, whose greatest thrill is trying to figure out if you want to be a Stormtrooper or a Jedi when you grow up. No longer will you spend your days with one of your favorite people ever, your Lolli. Believe me I think she will miss you just as much as you will miss her.

No, tomorrow you will strap on that big boy backpack, grip the Star Wars lunch box and board that great big yellow bus for the first time and head off to school. Yes, you will no longer be my little boy in the same sense you were when you got up this morning.

It is a day I have dreaded since the moment I first held you in my arms five and a half years ago.

I can't promise there will be no tears when we walk you to that great big yellow school bus, for I am sure there will be. But don't worry, I will be just fine. You pinky promised I would. And I can't promise you  that I won't be worried about you. Will you be shy? Will you make friends? Will she see you as the smart little boy that I know you are? But as your mom, I will never stop worrying about you, and these questions will always be in the back of my mind no matter what grade you will be heading in to.

And on the eve of the next big adventure my young Jedi, I want you to know how proud you make me to be a mom. How I look at you and think how incredibly blessed I am to be your mom. My wish for you is for you to never lose your sweetness. May you always treat your classmates, your teachers and whomever may walk in to your life with the same sense of empathy and care that you show me. Remember to look both ways when crossing the street. Always treat people with kindness and don't let others treat anyone else with anything less. Dance, even if it is just in the living room with me on a Saturday night. As much as we may not say it, we are super proud of you. Run in mud, get dirty every now and then, it is okay.  Don't grow up to fast. Enjoy your childhood. You will always have a friend in me. There is no shame in being a nerd. Ask your uncle. Lastly, yes you may have to grow up but don't forget to keep a little bit of child in you. After all, it is what dreams are made off.

May the force be with you my young Jedi.

No comments: