Pages

Tuesday, December 10, 2013

The Christmas Song I hate the most.

Now that December is fully underway-and quickly approaching the midway point-the holiday soundtrack seems to be nonstop. Around the house, around the office. In stores, in fact it is pretty much where ever you turn these days. Which is fabulous if, like me you love the holidays and everything that comes with it. Including the music. There is something infectious about the catchy little tunes that I just love.

All but one that is.

Now to be honest here, it is more of the rendition of the song that I can't stand rather than the song itself. I will make it clear because I am sure there are those that will think I am crazy for even suggesting this.

So what is this song you may ask?

Barbara Streisand's version of My Favorite Things. To begin with, I do not know how this is a Christmas song in the first place. Or when it actually turned into one. Because while the Sound of Music always seems to be playing around the holiday and is now associated-I guess?-with the holidays. I don't remember one scene when the holidays are even mentioned. But because everyone from Rod Stewart to Kelly Clarkson is doing their own rendition I will say it is popular enough to classify it as. And Barbara's version is definitely not one of my favorite things.

Nope not at all.

There I said it. I feel so much better. Julie Andrews she is not. Maybe it is the long breathless pause that makes me think she is running out of the steam and on her last gasps. How many times have I wanted to reach through the radio and slap her while exclaiming, just get it out!  Honestly how long can it be dragged out? I don't care about warm mittens and snowflakes on eye lashes. And her brown paper packages only make me think of booze for some reason. Which I may just have to start partaking in, in order to get through the song.  If I even get through it. As it it is I barely last two seconds before running as fast as I can within seconds of the first note of the song while screaming fa la la la la la, la la la la to avoid hearing it. Turn the station, flip to whatever else is on. No I do not care what is on by this point. I hate it that much.

Thankfully I have managed to not hear it thus far this season. A fact I am very grateful for. Maybe the stations have gotten the same hate thoughts of it and have decided to use their better judgement and not play it.

One can only hope.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

100% agree! ! It is not a Christmas song and I skip it on all Christmas cds.