Pages

Sunday, November 3, 2013

Blog Post Challenge: Favorite Inspiring Quote


 

“I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something. And because I cannot do everything I will not refuse to do the something that I can do.”
Helen Keller
 

Make all the joke about the woman to my left all you want. But from my standpoint, her words served as an endless amount of inspiration growing up as an American with a Disability. I didn't hear this quote until I was in high school, when my speech/debate teacher had me use it for a topic as a prose  and impromptu piece. I immediately feel in love with it.

 

While I am not one to dwell on the fact I was born without the use of my right hand, often at times especially growing up I tend to get frustrated with the things I can't do. The monkey bars annoy me more than anything really. Even today I find myself from time to time having to fight the urge to throw up my hands and just say 'screw you.' this is so not fair. 

 

And then I think of this quote, and how I may not be able to do everything and I may just be one person. But I can do things. Like tie a shoe with two fingers. And just because I can't do everything doesn't mean I shouldn't do the things I can. This meant learning to play two instruments, horseback ride. It meant trying out for theater plays and manage the softball team in high school, because while I couldn't exactly play softball, I could at least get involve in things any other way I could....

 

Today, this means maybe I couldn't have two kids back to back. But I am thankful to have the one child I have at the moment, and love him the best I can. It means teaching him to be empathetic and caring. It may not mean that I can teach him how to tie the shoe with two hands, but I can teach him how to read backwards and swing. 

 

So yes, I may be one, but I am not alone. And I refuse to not do something just because I can't do everything.

 

Go ahead make all the jokes you want. But Helen Keller, was a genius. 

 

No comments: