Pages

Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Walk On

With little man down in North Carolina this past couple weeks, we decided it was the perfect time to get off the couch and get moving.

On Anderson's part he decided maybe now that he has hit the ripe old age of 35 it was time to start taking care of his health. He has seen his weight rise during the past several years, and while he was running last fall and had shed some of it the cold winter mornings killed the mood and he found himself back on the couch.

On my end, I am far from being overweight, a couple would probably say I am even under if anything. But I know he needs a support system and I figured walking doesn't hurt anyone so I offered to walk with him. And since Logan hasn't been around we could at least start, breaking in our sneakers we had both bought for an upcoming trip. Sure we would get Logan involved when he was back but at least starting would allow us to figure out some paths, and trails and things.

So far it has worked out fairly well, I am lucky in the sense that our neighborhood has provided a couple of walking trails around the mile plus loop, and within walking distance is some sub shops, and a small strip mall, which will be perfect to walk to should we want to walk to lunch or dinner, but still offers enough distance from home that it is actually a walk and not just around the corner hop.

And this past week I successfully talked him into doing a more heavier hike around Manassas Battlefields, which once again offers several longer trails. He was hesitant to begin with, believing that it would be to boring and plain to walk around, but I must say at the end of the nearly five mile hike he was neither. Despite my attempts otherwise he had to actually see for himself that the battlefields offered more than just a couple of cannons and a statue of Stonewall. Believe me, they do. And we didn't touch nearly half of the place. We both decided it will be perfect for Logan to roam the lands freely and walk around and get a little education at the same time.

I am still on the hunt for more excursions, parks and other paths to get the family motivated and yet providing plenty of atmosphere to keep Anderson entertained. And while we may not be seeing improvements yet, I am reminded that we are just beginning.

Walk on.

No comments: