Pages

Friday, July 5, 2013

Five Question Friday: 7/5/2013: High School Musical

Fridays in the office during the summer are rather quiet. Fridays around the office after a holiday the day before pretty much means its dead.  Awesome for a nice quiet day when there isn't much to do. And since it is Friday, here is this weeks Friday Five: This weeks theme: High School Musical.

1.What song, album, or artist, disliked by you in high school, now sounds pretty good?

Hard one for me considering I am such a music fan that disliking things takes a lot for me. But I would probably have to say I used to dislike that 1979 song from Smashing Pumpkins. Its not that I  hated it, I just felt ehh about it. I didn't see what the big deal was. It was the same sort of feeling that I felt about Nivana, though I still don't see what the big deal is with that group. Anyways back to the whole 1979 song,  now however, well now I find myself actually flipping through my iPod to listen to it, and jamming to it...


2. What specific high-school memory do you have of discovering some song, album, or artist you considered old?

Growing up my parents had two different tastes, come to think of it they still do. My mom liked the classic rock, dad liked hard rock.. anyways in high school I started discovering the whole classic rock that my mom liked, specifically Journey. I don't have one specific memory really just sitting in my room discovering some of the classic songs that made them the band they were. Songs like Faithfully, and Open Arms and Don't Stop Believe'n. I had to go to Tower Records back when you had to actually go to a record store to get the greatest hits then running back to my room where I listened to the CD constantly thinking I had discovered what half the people had yet to. It was pretty awesome.

3. What song or album best serves as the soundtrack for your senior year of high school? (bonus challenge: answer this question with a different song or album for each year of high school!)


Freshman year: Ace of Base The Sign. This was the jam back in the day. Oh how I used to sit around the cafeteria thinking this was the best thing that happened to music since slice bread. It was a huge album back then. They were the biggest thing from Sweeden since ABBA. Yep. I remember getting up in the morning, and heading over to a friends house and watching the video to the Sign. We danced around the living room until we had to leave for school. It was epic.
Sophomore year: Alanis's Jagged Little Pill. The entire album became my anthem for the year and still serve's as a reminder to this day of the good old year. It was angry chic music. My first record where cursing was allowed. I seemed to grow up a lot that year, the entire album proved it. No longer was I listening to kiddie music. And my parents were finally ok with it.
Junior Year: Romeo &Juliet's Soundtrack which seemed to mix a little of all things, pop, rock and became more known than the actually movie. Seriously who didn't love rolling down the windows and just bopping to it. It was jammed with romance and heartbreak. A friend finally got her license and she would pick me up and we would cruise on down the road blasting the Cardigans 'Lovefool' and I was pretty sure the Prom's theme song had to be Kissing you. Of course it wasn't. And since I didn't exactly have anyone to kiss, this was fine by me.
Senior Year: Green Days Time of your life I know so many people that will go on and say that the college years were the time of your life. But for me, it was high school. Yes I was picked on. Yes I was made fun of and was a complete nerd. But looking back, life was easy back then. And I still have some of the same friends to this day. I still had some of the best memories from high school. Running through rain puddles with my best friend because my dad told us to. And hanging out of the car to Barbie Girl the day after graduation. And the summer I spent at a friends house because every night was a sleepover night. And the softball team, and everything else the first crush, the first slow dance to Boyz II Men and even if they guy felt bad for you, it didn't matter. You still danced. It is those kindg of things that make one look back and think, you know that truly was the time of my life.

4. What’s a song, album, or artist from your high-school years you loved then (and might still love) but have great difficulty listening to now, and what’s the reason?

My heart will go on. By Celine Dion. I am pretty sure I loved it back then, the movie was incredible the song was amazing. How could I not listen to it without thinking of Jack and Rose. But at the same time, after about the  millionth time of listening and it being played on every station it got so old. And now I can't even listen to it anymore without cringing to it. Sad yes. But I am pretty sure I am not the only one who feels this way.


5. What song, album, or artist from your high-school years, seemingly forgotten nowadays, do you still listen to with fondness?

Already mentioned it but its a toss up between that Romeo & Juliet Soundtrack and Alanis. Yes both I still crank up in the middle of the summer and think they are two of the greatest things ever. Alanis is less forgotten than the R&J is. I am pretty sure both will forever have a place in my heart and will always be held up in the sort of high esteem.  And in case you have forgotten here is a taste of both...

Romeo and Juliet: Kissing you By Des'ree


Alanis Morrisette: You Outta Know:



No comments: