Pages

Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Halloween, 2012

Halloween, 2012. This year it seems more trick than treat.

Sandy has come and gone, leaving her destructive remains along the east coast. Two days after making landfall, life is beginning to get back to normal.

I returned to work this morning. My office, which sits along the Anacostia is lined with fans, an workers who are trying to repair the damage that Sandy brought. It seems that while my home was spared, the office, as minor as it was, got hit.

Schools are back in session, disappointing kids and half of my friends who work for the various school systems alike. Metro, the government and just about everything in DC is back to normal, or some variation.

I know we were lucky. We dodged a bullet. I also know, had Sandy taken a different path, it could very well been us who got the blunt of the storm. Instead of NYC and NJ, who at this very hour are still struggling to pick up the pieces of a broken city. Or cities. I sat for two days watching the aftermath of the hurricane, shaking my head and feeling sick to my stomach at just how a storm can bring down a city, if not permanently. at least for the foreseeable future.

My heart goes out to them.

I know my son will go trick or treating tonight, he will throw on his pirate attire and beg for candy and do everything that a happy three year old is supposed to do on Halloween, having no idea that kids in a city, not all that far in reality from him aren't able to do the same.

We are fortunate for this.

I also realize this is not your typical Happy Halloween blog post. Maybe its not supposed to be.

Maybe it doesn't have to be.

No comments: