Pages

Monday, December 5, 2011

A day in the life of a hockey widow.

As most know by now-and if you didn't well you do now.-my husband works for the Washington Capitals. You have heard me speak of eating, breathing and sleeping hockey. How during the season, our lives, our schedules and everything revolves around whatever the team is doing.

But I figured it was time, to share just what goes on during a normal day. A day in the life of a hockey widow. You would think it would be glamorous, a lot of people including many of friends and family think its absolutely fabulous. And while I agree at times it can be. There is always on the other hand. So for those that may  be curious, here is what the typical day of a hockey widow, and her husband looks like.

Saturday, December 3, 2011:

5:30 am- Logan decides he has had enough sleep and comes crawling into bed with us. As usual he snuggles up to me and I try my best to coax him to lay there. It works for about an hour then its up and out. Andy knowing I have the majority of the on call duties lets me rest while he manages to get lil man, and himself breakfast.


8:30 am- Dressed and ready I make my way down to greet my son and husband. Andy heads up the stairs to iron a shirt and lay out his suit for the evening. Logan and I enjoy a morning of Phineas and Ferb, and whatever home improvement show Andy had been watching previously. When he comes back, he is dressed as well, in his typical weekend-and most work days-attire, Caps. Sometimes I wonder if he owns anything besides shirts that say Caps somewhere on it. We don't do much of anything for the next hour or two, but play it lazy. Andy immediately jumps on his Ipad to get the previous nights score along with twitter and facebook. He seems to be quite content. I contemplate leaving him there.

11:00 am-We finally manage to get Logan dressed and ready to go. He is feisty now, considering he had been up since 5:30 not sure how much longer he is going to make it. I always swear next time, we will get moving a little faster. None the less we manage to get out and moving, I look at the clock, its now almost 11:30. Knowing Andy has to return to change and all before making his way to the arena I try to hurry us along. Time during game days never seems to be as much as you wish it to be.

12:00 pm-Lunch at our favorite hole in the wall restaurant. Yorkshires in Mannassas. During lunch Andy pulls out his phone once more, Logan by this point has crashed on the booths seat. We discuss tonight's game. He swears to me we will win. Just about promises we will. Throughout lunch we get customers coming up and talking to us. By this point most of them know he works for the team a few from time to time have asked about tickets. And getting autographs. Last Christmas a waitress asked if Andy could get an autograph from Ovi for her son who loves him. And no matter how many times we tell them he isn't allowed to do this sort of thing, its inevitable, someone still asks. He is a good sport about it though, and is patient with most of them. Tries to explain he can't even get his own son that sort of thing. As much as he wishes. But its a perk we don't get.  In fact, I paid for Laich's autograph last year at Dulles Mall.

We sit there for an hour, talking and discussing hockey. Most of the time I don't mind. I am as much of a hockey fan as he is these days. But there are times when I wish there was something else people around us would discuss. Even the grocery store knows. Thanks to a proud mom-mine-who likes to inform anyone and everyone...and while its great. We have things we need to get done, and do.

1:30 pm- I dropped my ring off at the jewelers to get re-plated, thanks in part to an allergy I need to get it done every so often. After two weeks of not having it, we finally decide it should be done and go pick it up. The mall is crazy. And we make our way as quickly as we can though the stores, bypassing as best we can the toy store. To an almost 3 yr. old, this is heartbreaking. But we have one thing on our mind. The ring. And time is running out.


2:15 pm-We finally make it home, Andy rushes up the stairs to change, while Logan and I play hockey, and golf on daddys Ipad. I decide the leaves in the front need to get raked, and seeing that the husband has others things on his list to do, I do them myself. Though I leave the bagging to him.-As of Monday, it had yet to get done-

3:00pm-Andy comes down. Looking exceptionally handsome as he always does in a suit. He is rushing out the door. I think back to last season, when he was leaving the house at 1 in the afternoon for the 7 o'clock game, and don't miss them. 3 is early enough, but at least we get to have some time as a family in the early afternoon.  He kisses us goodbye and is off for the day. The next time I see him the game will be over and little man will be out.

5:00pm-Two hours till game time, Logan decides he wants dinner. I make him waffles because I know he will actually eat them. And after two hours of playing golf, and hockey and trains I admit I am exhausted and don't feel like fighting the whole nutrition value of the meal. He is happy enough, and before I know it is back to playing. He asks for Wii, and I try to set it up for him, though the system is giving me trouble. And I do everything in my power including calling Andy to figure it out. I can't. I watch as Logan talks to daddy on the phone, his tears start overflowing and it breaks my heart that I can't get the damn system to work. I replace batteries, unplug and replug and pretty much bend over backwards and nothing works. I curse out the fact I can't get it, that Andy isn't there to get it..I know its unfair to him. He had nothing to do with it. Still he makes it look so easy setting it up.

Leave it to the same little boy to be just as understanding though, as he wipes his tears away. 'I'm not going to cry anymore mommy..its just a game.'  Bringing me back to reality that for one night, it wouldn't hurt him if I was supermom.

6:30pm-Logan is getting sleepy now. He is acting like it. The terrible twos attack him. And I try to be patient and for the most part it works. But with the upcoming surgery and my slight disability, I curse them both for not being able to handle him better. Still I struggle with my one hand to get pjs on the squiggling little boy who keeps saying, mommy your using your good hand. Thats your bad one right?' And then he offers to help out. And together we get him into jammies. He even allows me to snap some quite adorable Christmas pics, and I immediately forget about the struggles with the jammies, and fighting with the wii...and its just me and my little man and Christmas time.

7:00pm-Logan decides he wants to go to his room and watch Meet the Robinsons and so I tuck him in and kiss him good night, and rush down to watch the hockey game. It being 7 I am not sure he will be asleep long, and am expecting him to come back down in a matter of minutes, but he doesn't. I hear the door open and shut twice before it falling silent for the night and as I order myself dinner from a local sub place I settle in, watch the game and enjoy dinner hoping for a Caps win.

If we win I think, the husband will be happy. Maybe I will get lucky. It will be a good night in the household I think. I sit and wait on the edge of my seat for the rest of the night. Inhaling my food and picking up during intermissions.

12:00am-On a good night my husband comes home around 11:30-12. On a bad night even later. Tonight wasn't so bad. On a good night my husband comes home in a good mood and is generally happy with the team performance. On a bad? On a bad its better things aren't discussed. On a good night, we can stay up a little later than we should-especially since tomorrow is Sunday-and go over the game. On a bad. I may as well go to bed on my own and hope I am asleep by the time he is home.

After all, on any given week, we have exactly 48 hours before we repeat the whole process over again.

No comments: