Pages

Sunday, October 30, 2011

A Sunday in the Mountains.

mom, me, Burgandy, Hillary and dad.
 Last weekend my parents celebrated 39 years of marriage. These days, that is quite an accomplishment, and how did they want to celebrate? Not on a cruise, or some fancy meal for just the two of them-although they totally deserve both-no they just wanted the entire family to be together.

So my parents.

Every few years for as long I can remember my parents have taken us to the lodge in the mountains of Virginia called Graves Mountain. Its got to be one of their favorite places, though I am not totally clear of the reasons. I asked my father this trip and he said it was simply due to the memories, since they as a couple had been going since they were teenagers. Some memories are hard to let go of. And so on this, their 39th anniversary, we found ourselves making the hour trek, along with my older sister who had come from North Carolina to celebrate.
The view, is always breathtaking.


Graves Mountain is located in Syria Virginia, Two hours south of DC,  the entire mountain is owned by the Graves family. Its home to a lodge, several camping grounds and cabins and the best homemade apple butter you can imagine-and believe me I know my apple butter. It reminds me a lot of the getaway that was in Dirty Dancing. Every weekend in October they have a fall festival, pumpkins, crafts, dancing and down home country cooking welcomes guests and locals alike.  As we pulled into the site, the rich colors of autumn began to emerge. The kind of color, you don't often see in the DC area.

Pop-Pop and Lil man...
But as I have mentioned, while wonderful we really weren't exactly here for the scenery and since we had a couple of hours before our dinner reservation up at the main lodge we took our time to explore. The craft fair is open and free for anyone to walk around in, and though I don't remember having to pay in the past there were several activities for the kids, including a hay maze, a play area and of course, hay rides. While my sisters, my husband and my mom walked around, my dad and I took my son and my nephew on the hay ride. Let me say, it was well worth the two dollars we spent. Not only did it provide some great photo shoots, but it also was quite awesome to see the fields at their untouched stages, the rows of corn, the trees-and yes they still have trees here-and the apple orchards.

As you can tell my son totally hated the ride and bugged me the entire way to get off. Truthfully he had a fabulous time, as did my dad who was lucky enough to be the chosen one. 


The hubs and myself
After the quick-or not so actually-hay ride we joined up with the rest of the family and participated in the fun festivities before making our way up to the lodge....perfect timing since it was getting a little on the chilly side. The gorgeous fall weather had turned into a little cool evening. As much as I love my heat and my summer, I don't associate this lodge and the sun with it, all I wanted at this point was a great cup of hot chocolate and a fireplace. They didn't have hot chocolate but they did have a roaring fire. Hey one out of two ain't bad. And for the boys, there was always football on. I suppose they had to make everyone happy.

With an hour to kill we did the following:

  • had an amazing game of table tennis going on, nobody knew who won, but I don't think it really matters.
  • Listened to a thousand teenagers discuss Prom, yes you heard right, Prom. But I suppose with homecoming now past what else do they have to talk about?
  • Watched a football game. I can't tell you who played since I am not a football fan but I know it was on.
  • Learned that a two and a half year old and a gift shop=danger for moms and dads a like.

Dad, lil man, and me...on the hay ride..
We were finally called for dinner, which was your typical home cooking as I mentioned, dad had his ham, salt covered and all, he claims its his only time he gets this, since its horrible for you but hey we won't mention this to his doctors now will we? Fried chicken, tea and corn pudding completed the meal.

We toasted to my mom and dad, and as I looked around I couldn't help but get a little misty eye. I know these days won't always be here. We are all moving on, location wise and family wise. The holidays are becoming harder and harder to get together as it is. How much longer would we all be celebrating? But I suppose we will take whatever we will get..

And so, here is to another wonderful year of marriage to my parents. May it be as wonderful as they are.

No comments: