Pages

Friday, October 7, 2011

Friday Five 10/7 Booking It.

What book did you struggle to get through but is something you’re glad you’ve read?           

 Wicked. I had heard such great things about the book and so I picked it up. But I struggled the entire way. The language was hard to understand and several times I found myself rereading the same passage just for better understanding. I was glad when it ended, and this is something I find myself rarely saying with any of the books I read.  Two months ago, I went and saw the musical. Thankfully, it was a lot better than the book. And that is unusual.                                                           
What’s a book whose popularity has baffled you?                                                                
 Twilight.  I was given the book to read while I was on maternity leave.  I didn't have any desire to read it, but sitting there with a newborn who slept a lot I ran out of books fast, and it was a lot easier to just pick the book up than to go get a new one with him. So that is how I came to read it. Otherwise I think I would have been totally happy not ever reading it. Honestly I still don't know what the big fuss is all about. Yes I read the series and still find myself shaking my head thinking really? Most of my friends are in love with it. Grown women in their late twenties and early thirties are sitting here obsessed with the book. What am I missing?? What don't I get? 

If you could make everyone you know read one book, what would it be?                        

 Firefly Lane. It shows just how strong friendship can be. The good the bad and the ugly of it all. It has stuck with me for a long time...Great book, go read if you haven't. I highly recommend it.


What book have you liked less and less as time has gone by?                                                     

I don't really have an answer for this, most of the books I reread are ones that I love, and have yet to look back and think what the heck was I thinking. Perhaps one of the books I read as an adolescent, thinking the Babysitters book series. But it has been so long since I have read it that I couldn't honestly give you an answer.

What book have you loved more and more as time has gone by?                                              

Toss up between  Ashes in the Wind. or The Gamble both of which have been on my favorite book list for as long as I can remember. They were also the first romance novels, which probably has a thing to do with it it. But the Gamble I can relate to since the main character has a slight disability, so on a personal level I know what she goes through I have thought the same things. Ashes in the Wind, I just simply love the story. Enough said. I pick these books up about every other year or so and never get tired of them.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I know how you feel about Twilight. I read the first two books to see what all the fuss was about. Never read Breaking Dawn and only saw the first movie. The writing isnt' that great, and I found nothing sympathetic about Bella. I couldn't stand her father either -- he has to be the most clueless parent in the history of clueless parents.