Pages

Thursday, September 29, 2011

Is that your final answer?

The addict in me told me to push the button. Book the tickets. I mean one more time wouldn't hurt right?

This is what every addict tells their own self. Just once more. One more hit, one more trip.

But the clean and rational me told me to think about it. And so against my better judgment, think about it is exactly what my husband and I did. Throughout the day, we planned as though we were still full speed in our long weekend away.  And we had every intention of booking. We had it all planned. Being DVC members allows us the freedom to book a room down there on our points, most of the time at the drop of the hat. Andy sat there and calculated how many points it would be, and surprise surprise it wasn't all that expensive. We could actually manage it and still have plenty of points to go next summer. So we got things together, we came up with the plan. As long as we could get the room, which my husband fully assured would probably be a non issue, we would go.

But of course we got busy, and before we knew it morning turned into early afternoon, and before we knew it, the clock was staring at three in the afternoon. And we had yet to call.  Still we weren't exactly worried. We had several times called last minute and gotten through, this time we assumed wouldn't be any different. Of course I still had doubts, still wrestling between the addict and the sensible side of me. Neither seeming to be winning...Finally my husband made the call, and I waited on the other side of the computer, going through our bank statements, our credit cards. Between planning a Germany trip in March to see some in-laws and our regular day expenses, the sensible side of me wanted to make sure everything would be taken care of. Sure it was just the airline tickets that we would need to pay for, but still.

And then, in matters of an instance, my question was answered. Which side would win...

When it came down to it, it wasn't our choice in the matter. With the answer of no rooms avaliable for the time, we got our answer.

We would not be going.

The sensible side of me won.

And while, my wallet would thank me...The addict would not.

No comments: