Pages

Friday, June 10, 2011

The Mysterious Case of Pink


When we picked up Logan on Wednesday, his eye was pink. Not in a horrible way, but enough to know that it was irritated. Still we didn't think much of it. We went about our business. Besides he wasn't complaining about it. He said it was itchy, but it didn't seem to have any effect on his sight. Though how much a two and a half year old could exactly communicate this I don't exactly know.

That is, until yesterday morning.

When he woke, and his entire eye was pink. Great on top of the sniffles he had earlier in the week, I am thinking the worst. Pink eye. I mean what else could it be right? Still it wasn't enough to really do much of anything and Andy didn't think I needed to freak out. So we brought him to my mother in laws and went about our day.

I get a call from Andy just after lunch.

My MIL had taken Logan to the doctors. His eye was now completely swollen, and she was getting worried. The doctor thinks he was bitten, but what no one knows. He was at the pool so probably a bug or a spider.

By the time we get over there yesterday not only is his eye swollen but the entire area around it is as well. Its puffy, and swollen and Logan is looking like he was in a fight. He was given medicne to relieve the symptoms and hopefully heal things up. We are advised to call back if it doesn't look any better or gets worse in the next couple of days.

But that's not going to happen.

Right?

But as of this morning, when I left him at my mothers, the eye I swear is looking even worse.

How I don't know, but it does.

As a mom, I feel horrible. Because I know there isn't a whole heck of a lot I can do. But as a mom that doesn't have any leave time built back up yet, I feel even worse. I can't take off to be there for him. I have to rely on my in laws or my own parents to do that.

What about Andy?

Andy is a great father, he loves Logan more than I think he has ever loved anyone. But when it comes to taking a day off for him, he always seems to think that somehow Logan isn't all that bad, and he doesn't need one of us to stay home. He has my mom, and Andy's mom. And why should he take off when he doesn't need to. Sure if this was an emergency. Or if he truly was sick, well then perhaps this would be different. Besides, I can take off just as easily. So while I struggle to come up and save hours in the likelihood that one of us will get sick, he saves it up.

Sick leave that is.What he does with it all is beyond me.

Though I suppose I shouldn't be so hard on him. Logan isn't truthfully that sick. And he doesn't really need us at the moment. That much is true. He just has a swollen eye in which we can do little to nothing for anyway.

Still that doesn't stop me from wanting to be there with him anyway. Its a struggle I try to balance on any normal day. When he is sick, its that much harder.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy working. My job, isn't all that bad. Granted the two hour commute into DC sucks, but for the most part it isn't all to bad. Its just the majority of me prefers being a mom. Likes that role more.

Then again, with such a sweet child as he is, who would blame me?

No comments: