Pages

Sunday, June 5, 2011

NKTOBSB review

Friday I hit up the Verizon Center along with thousand of other boy band lovers. As predicted the crowd was much older. Those pre-adolescent teens where still there, though this time their screams where overshadowed and outnumbered by the screams of their mothers. Most of whom where in their late 40's by my estimation. There was something else unexpected in this crowd. Men. That's right. Apparently attending this show was not something one should be ashamed about. I wonder when liking the guys become socially acceptable. Because I am pretty sure I got my ass kicked a couple of times years ago when I even mentioned the word Backstreet Boys. None the less we entered the arena as one excited group of people. It was packed. I have to give it to the group of men, they can still sell out an arena. Quite impressive considering the ages of the men.

I can't remember much about the first opening act, Ashlynne something or another. From where I was sitting, she reminded me of what Mandy Moore, Jessica Simpson, and Britney Spears would look like if you morphed them into one person. Other than that, I wasn't to impressed. I can't even tell you one name of any song she sang, though apparently her album is coming out tomorrow. I doubt that is one I am going to be running out to buy any time soon.

As for the second opening act, it was one Jordin Sparks. Who seemed to hush the audience when she stepped out on to the stage, with not one hint of that baby weight. She looks incredible. Reminding me a lot of Janet or Ms. Jackson if your nasty. Dif seemed to have gained some confidence along the way as well. She was a whole lot better than the Ashlynne girl though we all knew who was coming up after her and it felt like it was one of those hurry and get over with we want the men sort of deals. Still a great show.

And then came the main act. The boys we had waited all night for. I looked over at my friend, who agreed to go. And while she put on a great front I know she hated every minute of it. Still she was a good friend and let me live out my 15 year old fantasies for the evening. The guys looked amazing. I had never seen NKOTB even in their peak of popularity, still it was fun dancing along to every move, thank you Burgie.-and pretending that I was 15. Of course I wasn't as interested in them as I was the BSB my sole reason for going.

I had lucked out with tickets, thank to being a fan club member, and when they hit the stage, I realized I was in perfect eye sight with the walk out stage. Turns out they did more from there than the man stage. Making yours truly a very happy camper. There of course was both groups signature songs. For the New Kids, it was Right stuff and Step by Step, and for BSB, Quit playing games and I want it that way. But I will say I was stoked to see them through in some random ones. Ones that I knew from all the number of albums I had collected over the years. Ten Thousand Promises was amazingly beautiful....

And then came the moment. I wrote about my love for Nick Carter the other day. Just remember this, we were sitting there, Sarah and I. Watching New Kids sing, when they rope off our seats. Not really getting things we continued to watch the show. When Joey of NKOTB comes out and stands in front of the section in front of us. Sarah and I, were fortunate to get the 3rd and 4th seats on the end so we had a primo spot to see him. Girls were freaking out, even I myself thought this was pretty cool. I wished my sister was there. Turning to Sarah I said the only thing better would have been if that was Nick instead of....and then wait a minute, BSB starts singing but they aren't on stage, they are...and then there he comes walking down the stairs, on our side.

Nick.

And like that 15 year old I start screaming, and I am quickly being pushed by a thousand other girls who want him. And before I know it I am practically pushed up against the ropes, my hand out in front of me. Shaking. He comes by in a blink of an eye, and my hand is touched by his. I didn't care that it was brief, I don't care that I didn't speak one word to him. I didn't even care that he will never remember it or that I was accidentally pushed into him by the girl behind me that told me it was her life's mission to touch him-which I thought back off bitch, its everyone's life's mission-all that mattered was I touched him. He touched me!

I swear to never wash this hand again. As my life is now complete.

No comments: