Pages

Thursday, May 5, 2011

The end. 2010-2011 season.

Lets review how I feel at the moment.

Numb
Disappointed.
Drained.

After such a great first series, to see my team get completely fall apart and get swept is beyond heartbreaking. It cuts you right down to your soul til you can't breath.

Just imagine how they are feeling right.

I could, like most of my fellow caps fans out there get pissed off, turn in my fan card and never speak of the team again. I could demand the coach to be traded. Swear that if we don't get rid of so and so then I am no longer going to be a fan of the team. Lets not pretend we don't know what I am talking about. Believe me, I sat there on twitter last night in amazement at the number of fans that were doing just that. There was no giving the team any credit for anything. A problem I find we have with most teams here in DC. Apparently you don't win a cup, a superbowl a world series your season was unsuccessful. You suck and the entire team should be fired.

Am I upset? Yes of course. How could I not be? Perhaps its twice as hard for me since Andy, works with the team. Another words this is not only my team but its the families life. I sit there through seven months of games. Seven months of mood swings, of pure ups and pure lows. I listen as my husband goes on and on about this and that, or as this case this year when he got to travel with the team who he talked to, how Brads and he talked about kids and how Ovi high fived him. Seven months leading up to the month of April. When the nerves kick in around the house, when the word playoffs loom over us. I sit there during that month, debating or not planning vacations is a good idea and declining weddings because we aren't sure if or were we will be. But as always I plan for the this is going to be our year sort of thing. Just as I do every year. And when they lose, we lose. I lose. Suddenly all those months of thinking, of being positive go down the drain. Leaving me with a what to do next. Call up those RSVP's for the weddings and say wait a minute?? This feeling leads to a feeling of anger. Because I am pretty sure they promised us things would be different this year. They swore it would be. And yet, it isn't. And I have spend now eight months of my time, of my families time devoted into these thoughts. Into this belief that this year was going to be different.

But at the same time, I am tying to keep things on the bright side, because at this point, its better than mopping around knowing that it wouldn't change anything by doing so. There is ofcourse the obvious, having the hubs back until sometime in August, things may actually get done. My son can enjoy the weekends with him. That kitchen will actually get painted. My marriage will be healthy for the next few months. But this I realize is not about the Caps, so lets get to it. The fact that we have a kick ass goalie, who is young, and eager. And despite the series, rather good. No scratch that. Great. He is going to turn into quite the player and I am thrilled and look forward to the road ahead.

We have two other young goalies who are incredible in their own right. A three great goalie dilemma doesn't sound so bad after all. There's Carlson, and Alzner. And Green and Ovi who maybe didn't have his best year ever but just the mention of his name seems to put a smile on my face. There are others I could list, but there is only so much room to write.

Whether all or any of these players return remain to be seen. But I will put my trust in organization to do what is right.

We got into the playoffs, hear me out, at one point, we weren't even winning games. We lost 8 in a row. Things were looking all doom and gloom back then. People began to doubt us at all then. And yet we managed to pull it around and come back to get into the playoffs. Not every team can say this.

We weren't the only ones to get our asses kicked by the Lightning. Remember Pittsburgh? Yeah they got theirs handed to them as well. And they were ahead in the series, at least we were down. But they were one game away from winning. And when they lost, they lost big time. Remember the 7-2 loss in game 1? Yeah we aren't the only ones here.

So sure we lost, yeah its another year of not holding that trophy up. But next year it starts all over again. And you better believe my ass will be there.

No comments: