Pages

Friday, December 17, 2010

When the going gets tough.


Dear Caps-

Yes its me.

Again.

I know, I know. I have been rather harsh on you as of late. In fact perhaps harsh is a little underrated. Because lets face it, I have been rather vocal with my unhappiness in the past handful of games. And right now I am pretty sure you have no desire to even read anything that comes from me. Which means you probably won't even read this. Go ahead and discard.

I will wait.

Alright, now that, that is out of the way lets get back to the reason I emailed you. You aren't the only ones that are disgusted with my frustrations. My mom had the tickets the other night, and we sat up there, in section 424 watching it. And even though I missed the one and only goal that was scored-thanks to a smart ass comment from me to my mother resulting in her pulling down my hat at the precise moment Laich scored-I thought we were in the game. No I didn't get my hopes up but it seemed that we were at least in the game. Which is a good thing. Believe me.

That is up until overtime.
Have I mentioned how much I hate overtime.

When the Ducks scored in overtime. I cursed. I said I gave up on you. I cried. I sat there in the stands looking down at the ice wondering if it was even worth caring this much anymore. I started dropping the F-bomb like it was nothing. And I am not one to sit there and use it very often.

My mom got so pissed off at me that she went off on me. Seriously in the middle of the arena like I was ten years old. She didn't know where the whole dirty mouth came from-clears throat, umm hockey?-she informed me how ashamed she was of me, and how she has never ever seen me like this. I was becoming my father who she in recent years has banned from even being in the same room during a game.

On and on she went.
Somewhere I am sure I even heard how I am not a true fan.

I tried to save myself, telling her I was allowed five minutes of pure frustration. And that to her this is just a game but this is my life. My husband's job. I live hockey twenty/four seven. And if we weren't doing well it affects everything in my daily life.

She wasn't really having any of it.

We argued pretty much the entire way home about our situation.
And as she drove away it occurred to me, that she is right. In some ways. Because if I am a fan like I say I am, then I need to stand behind you, through the good times and the bad. Its like a marriage in that sense. And just because we hit a bumpy spot in the road for a bit doesn't mean you just walk away from it.

Sure the bad times have hit hard. But one must remember that last year you went 14 straight without a loss. This is nothing. This to shall pass.

Which is why, I will once again sit in my home tomorrow night, the holiday lights in the background and cheer you on. Because I am a fan.

No matter how much you suck at any given time.

Yours,
A frustrated fan.

No comments: