Pages

Monday, November 1, 2010

Welcome November



Now that Halloween has come and gone, lets welcome what probably is one of my favorite times of the year. The leaves have fully changed, my fall semester is halfway over and both Thanksgiving and Christmas are right around the corner. I have always struggled to figure out which exactly I love more and since I have never come to a solid decision lets just make it an equal tie and say, bring on turkey, pumpkin pie and family.

This morning I got up, got in my freezing cold car and found my way to a local radio station that begins playing Christmas music in July-no not really but they may as well-just to see if they had switched over yet to their 24/7 Christmas music up until Christmas night. They haven't yet. I don't know if this bummed me out to much since it still seems a little to early to be singing Jingle Bell rock and Oh Holy Night. And yet, I find the music contagious, and infectious and for the most part it puts me in a good mood. Even the sight of the holiday decorations up at the mall yesterday seemed to put a smile on my face. Even if I thought it was just a wee bit early.

Then there was another thought that flashed through my mind as I was thinking of the holidays. And it is this, maybe its not so early. Maybe its just coming faster and faster than it did as a kid. I know, I was warned of this growing up. But come on, how many of us actually believed that what our parents were saying, would actually end up to be the truth? How many of us sat there thinking the holidays would never get here, never come. We would sit there with our advent calenders just waiting as the days go by slower and slower. We would count the days until winter break with anticipation. All the while our parents would sit there and tell us not to waste our days. Or wish them away because one day we will be adults. And the days will fly by and you wish you would have the days like this back.

I miss those days.

My mom was right. Absolutely without a doubt. A 100% right about the fact that it comes faster and faster each year. I look at my son, who will be two in February finding it hard to believe that he will be in his terrible two's before long. And I wish for him never to grow up, want him to cherish these days as my mom had done so long ago. Knowing there is nothing i can do stop them either.

And since I can't. I will head into this new month just as excited as ever. I will do my shopping, celebrate with the family and be thankful for the moment. Because this year the holidays,just like all the ones in the recent past, will come and go in the blink of an eye all to quickly.

No comments: