Pages

Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Its the most wonderful time of the year.

Last night was the first home game. Well as far as preseason goes that is, the regular season home opener is still just over a week away. I watched as my husband dressed in his suit, shaved and got ready for the beginning of this season, all the while thinking here we go again.

I sat there wondering what the year would bring. A lot of joy I hope. Minus all the heartbreak. A lot of fun, and some challenges. Sure. As mentioned before, nights when I won't even want to see my husband, and then others when I want to celebrate with him and share in the wins. I always wonder if I am truly ready for it all again. It is after all a long season, sometimes running til June. Which means a lot more nights and mornings that I will be watching my husband do the same routine as that morning.

Though its always different in the beginning of the season. Unlike the end of the season, when he is tired and worn out. At the beginning, its all happy and LETS GO CAPS and possibilities. He will say how wonderful this year is going to be. How they have done this and that over the summer to improve. This year, he is just saying the first half of the year doesn't matter. Its the playoffs that do in the long run. In a lot of ways he is already saying he just wants to fast forward to then. Get the regular season over with. He is that excited for the future.

As for myself, being the fan that I am, I can't help but think of it as a fresh start, a I love this game, love this team and this year will be the year sort of feeling. Its the itch that I have been dying to go to a game, to chant until my voice goes. To root, to holler, to make fun of the drunk guy that sits behind us. Or worse the annoying guy who flaps his arms up and down as though he is going to fly away. I suppose they don't call it the Eagle's nest for nothing now do they?

Its the amazing guys on the ice and the talent they bring. And no, I am not just talking about who is cuter than the other. Because while granted some of them are quite easy on the eyes-I am not about to lie here-the fact is, I actually know a thing or two regarding the players other than if they prefer boxers or briefs. Its the fact that when they get out there, right about the time when the announcer finishes the whole, 'Your Washington Capitals' that you realize just how pumped up they are. How much they work as a team, and while their may be one or two that are individually great players. When it comes down to it, they are that much better as part of a team. I have been watching the game for years now and while there has been talented teams in the past, I say this has got to be the most talented yet. I can feel it.

And just as I have foolishly believe this to be the year in the past. This year, is our year.

Truth is this year I actually believe it.

Just remember, none of this matters.

Until April.

No comments: