Pages

Tuesday, September 14, 2010

How low can you go?

What do you do when you suddenly realize your baby isn't a baby anymore?

For the past 19 months we have taken him up to bed, placed him in his crib where he has somehow magical stayed until the wee hours of the morning. Thankfully we were one of the lucky few whose kid actually slept through the night. Actually lately we have had to wake him up more often than not to get him off to my mothers house where he spends most the day.

But this past Sunday that all changed. It being the weekend, and neither of us having to work we decided to play it a bit lazier than usual, staying in bed for as long as we can, or rather as long as Logan would allow us to. But somewhere around seven thirty I am am woken by my son, who is bawling his eyes out. Waking up I take a moment to adjust to the rising sun when I notice the sound is not only getting louder but a lot closer. I must be imagining I think because I know we put Logan down, and my husband was still fast asleep by my side.

And that's when I notice it. The small figure standing in my doorway frame, his tiny hands clinching and un-clinching. My son, somehow miraculously over night has learned the art of climbing out of the crib.

I rush and bring him to our bed knowing that to some this is highly frowned upon. And I listen as he rattles on his sad woe is me act. My husband stirs beside us, finally realizing we aren't alone.


So what does one do when they realize their baby isn't a baby anymore?

They learn to lower cribs.

Followed quickly by locking the bedroom door.

No comments: