Pages

Thursday, September 2, 2010

How I spent my weekend

A couple of months ago I wrote expressing me getting the ‘new car itch.’ After driving my 2003 Mazda Protégé for nearly eight years I figured it was about time to update my wheels to a family car, considering well I do have a family now.

So I did my research and I fell absolutely in love with the 2011 Hyundai Sonata. Maybe as I stated it was the sleek design, the fact it looked a hell of a lot fancier than it should. But do not let this fool you. I was also quite impressed and interested in the fact that it had amazing reviews when it came to safety. Before I knew it, I had to have this car. It was my destiny. It was my passion. I was in love with this car as much as I could be. I hadn’t even test driven it when it was made. And once I did, my fate was sealed. I was going to have this car one way or another. Of course it took some convincing but my husband who wasn’t exactly sure that A) we needed a new car. And B) a Hyundai really? But finally I got him to agree that it was time. Just after my 30th birthday I drove home in my brand new silver Sonata, ‘a very happy women’ to quote my own words.

Now something about this car made me feel great. The way it drove, the way it looked. I loved the fact that people were talking about it when I drove in. It may sound extremely weird but it’s the truth. And it was beyond a doubt the smoothest ride I have ever driven.

But little did I know that this car, would not only be one of the greatest cars I had ever looked into. But would also save my life, along with my family. This past weekend, my husband and I along with my 19 month old son was off to meet my parents for dinner. The light turned green, pausing I waited and then made my way. The next thing I knew, I was surrounded by a sea of white, the smell and sight of smoke scaring my half out of my mind. I had been hit. From somewhere.Later we were told the other car ran the red light, hit us, and then ran into two other stopped cars on the other side of the median. He did not have insurance. I got out of the car, amazed that I was able to still walk. My husband, who had been in the passenger’s seat ran around to get our son out of the seat we had just bought the weekend before. We walked away, and looked at the tangled mess that was now my Sonata. Other than a few scrapes and bruises, we walked away unharmed.

The car on the other hand, did its job and sacrificed its own in order to save us.


Thankfully our local rescue squad was right around the corner.








Once they moved out I got a look at what my car was now. I will not lie, I think I cried just a bit.








I just couldn't believe we walked away from this all unharmed. I truly believe this car saved our lives.








And while I know its just a piece of metal, and can be replaced, our lives can't. Which is the important thing out of all this.










So thank you Hyundai, for our lives. When this all clears up, should I need a new car you know I will be right back.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh gosh, Aleisha. I'm so sorry about the car accident, y'all were in. I'm so glad to hear that y'all are alright and that the car was the one that really was only damaged. I hope you can get it fixed or replaced ASAP. *hugs*