Pages

Wednesday, July 21, 2010

An alternative use for a handbag


When I went to the World back in February I made two big purchases. Two Dooney and Bourke handbags. A small hand held one like the one shown, and a bigger one. Now I admit I have never before been a fan of D&B and have for the most part thought they are over priced and not my thing. However when they came out with this design, I was beyond ecstatic and grabbed mine as soon as I could.

My husband on the other hand couldn't really understand it, they were cute but figured I could spend my money on a lot more important things. Of course I would not have any of it and still got it, saying that the purse was something I just had to have and I was sure that it wouldn't just come in handy for me. I mean hey I could always use it as a back up baby bag no?

He shrugged swearing he would never get it, while I held the purses close to my heart.

I rushed home with my purchases, immediately switched everything from my old and showed off the bags proudly. In the months since I have had numerous onlookers, fellow Disneyholics and random strangers look at my handbags both with curiosity and interest.

And I have found that these handbags are not just useful for myself but have in several occasions been the cure for boredom on DC metro's system. It seems more often than not during my long metro ride homes on packed trains I have several kids play I spy on it. They use it to make up stories and to dream about the magical place. All of these are just a small rambling of what I have over heard. They ask with wonder if the stuff is really signs from Disney etc. And I can't tell you how many parents seem to be thankful that my bag keeps their kid quiet.

If nothing more than just a few minutes. And I smile to myself.

Knowing that as predicted it isn't just me who is benefiting from my purchase.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That's a cute design! I particularly like the Cheshire Cat. I love how so many little kids adore it, too. It's nice when your possessions don't just benefit yourself, but others as well.