Pages

Monday, March 15, 2010

Alex the Gr8

Alex Ovechkin.

The name is God among the DC hockey world. Just as much as Sydney Crosby is to Pittsburgh. He is the face of the team, role model to many and a spokesperson for others. He also happens to be one of the best hockey players in the league, even the World at the moment. While I am not a Crosby fan, I will say he is probably number 2. Of course everyone has their own opinion on who number one is and who number two. But that's beyond the point. And not the meaning of this post.

So of course being the player he is, when Ovie does something that pisses anyone off, you can pretty much guarantee to be hearing from the league on it. Case in point yesterday afternoons game against the Blackhawks. When he boarded someone into the wall. From where I sat, on my mothers couch it didn't look like it was intentional and it didn't look like he was out to get anyway. It looked like it was a case of bad timing. Campbell was in the wrong space at the wrong time. Ovie just happened to be right behind him. After a moment Campbell got up and walked off the ice. Ovie was sent to the box, only to be given a game misconduct shortly after. A call that would eject him from the game.

And soon it was the buzz, was it the right call? If you ask a Pittsburgh fan: yes. If you asked a Cap fan: No. Media seemed fifty/fifty on whether or not it should have been a game misconduct or not. Most however seemed to say that it wasn't.

Was it a hard hit? Yes. Did it deserve a penalty? Yes. But lets not forget who you are talking about Ovie, who is 6'2 and 223. What were you expecting? The guy to be as graceful out there as a ballerina? I don't expect anyone that big to be as graceful as I think the league wants them to be.

Ovie walked off the ice, and headed back to the locker room where he spoke to the media and cleaned up. He knew that the verdict wouldn't come til this afternoon.

And so we all held our breath as we waited for the verdict. If there was one.
The result: a two game suspension. Which isn't so great but I suppose it could have been a lot worse if you ask others.

Yes I realize I am a cap fan, which means I am going to say that I wish he would have gotten off. I will say this, I just want to see some consistency. If Campbell had been hit by Laich, or Steckel or Crosby even I doubt either would be punished. And I don't think Chicago would be pushing for the suspension as they did.

I was told that Crosby is the golden boy of the league. And in every story there has to be an equal power of good and bad.

Unforunanetly for Ovie. He just happens to be the latter of the two.

No comments: