Pages

Thursday, October 15, 2009

This is so not October. Sure the calender may say its October 15th, but it isn't.

Rather it is somewhere in the early part of December. At least one would think so judging by the weather outside. I woke up this morning, after a wonderful night of rest, tucked into my nice warm covers. With my husband at my side. Not even Logan was moving around yet. Honestly, I really had no desire to move from the security of that blanket. I wait as long as I can, until they go over the weather report for the third time. As if it was somehow going to change in the ten minutes in between. Gee, it doesn't. Surprised? I roll my eyes at the thought of the low digit numbers. I contemplate some fabricated event to get me to stay in another ten minutes. Until I remember, Logan's doctors appointment tomorrow, so going in is the only option. At least it is my Friday.

But no, I didn't want to leave the blankets. I wanted to stay there all day. Wrapped up like a butterfly. Nice safe and warm...

But still, I had to. So I get moving, I dress I brush my teeth. And before I know it, its six o'clock and I have to be out the door.

And that's when it hits me. The slap of cold along my face. The barely above forty degrees. Damn, what happened to October. What happened to the transition from summer to winter, or have we forgotten about it. This is not the weather the DC area gets this early. At least we aren't supposed to.

I did not move to Colorado. I did not choose to live in Colorado. If I wanted winter one day and summer the next, maybe I would have.

But I don't.

I climb into my little Mazda Protege, my teeth shivering and instantly turn on the heat. Sitting for a minute to let my numb fingers (October remember this) adjust to the steering wheel. They do. I put the car in reverse and start driving. I expect to hear Jingle Bells and We Wish you a Merry Christmas through the radio. I almost expect to see Christmas lights, and caroling going on.

Thankfully, non of this is going on.

By the time my car is nice and hot and I am unfrozen, is the time I pull into the metro stations parking lot. I once again must face this cold nasty weather I detest so much....

The cold slaps my face.
My fingers go numb once more.
Jingle Bells play somewhere in the back of my mind.

And I swear it isn't October anymore.

No comments: