Pages

Saturday, October 17, 2009

Rejection

Rejection.

No one likes it. No one wants to admit that they have been turned down, turned away or even possibly failed. I myself am not one for rejection.

Last night I hopped on Facebook to check the 2010 Mom's Panel and quickly came across a link for the non finalists. Curious I clicked and was taken to the thousands of hopefuls now feeling the sting of rejection. One by one I read as they each explained their feelings, most of them confused and frustrated that they were once again turned down. Many of them feeling as though they didn't know what to do, to make it next year.

And all seemed to be rather pissed. As if they felt they were more entitled, more deserving than any of those that had made it to be selected. Many of these same people said they didn't know what they had to do to get picked. That they would do just about anything because while some of us that had been picked may have been good, they were better. And they could pretty much tell you why they were in the response.

None of which seemed to be that much different. They were creative. They had a mother who was elderly who had been to the parks. They planned everything including their best friends, uncle's nieces sixteenth birthday party. And so on.

And then many of them just wanted to know what the criteria is. Wanted to know what they exactly were looking for? I began to wonder why? So that in future years that can narrow it down to the few selected key words they are looking for in order to get picked? What kind of advantage is that?

They all weaved this sad woe is me. The more I read the more I began to get this feeling as though I should be ashamed that I made it. That I should feel guilty for making it. My heart skipped. I am thrilled to make it. I want this. I won't deny it anymore than the next. It would be something I enjoy...So why should I feel guilty.

Why?

Because strangers thought they were so much better than me? Somehow that didn't seem right. No. I mean there has to be a reason they chose me out of the others. There has to be a reason that they didn't choose them. I don't know what that is, and maybe I never will find out. But for some reason there was.

And then I had another thought. And it is this, there were 20,000 applicants. All of which are hopefuls all of who want this more than anything. And all of whom are fighting for the same twelve slots that the rest of us are. And everyone deserves it just as much as the next. Disney can't pick everyone. Truth is, as much as they want to, they can't. And we aren't going to find out what they are looking for, or if there is anything else that we can do to help the chances.

For in the end.

The rejection emails will still have to come out to some.
Unfortunately.

No comments: