Pages

Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Hockey obsession

Last night as I watched the Caps lose to the Flyers it occurred to me. I had become obsessed. There I was sitting on the edge of my couch, my husband on the other end of it. Memorized, the clock was winding down in overtime. The score was tied, and my nerves were on high. I didnt want to lose. I didn't want to hear it. And yet, as the puck flew past Theodore, sending the Flyers and their fans into a fast frenzy. And it was over. They had handed us our first lose. And I?

I was by myself. I mean I know, we are going to lose games. There isn't any way possible a team can single handedly win all games. I mean it is pretty damn near impossible to do so. But for some reason the first lose, was just devastating. Who cared that we played a game seen more in game 7 of the playoffs than the third game of the season. Who cared that for the entire game we were head to head with what is supposed to be one of the best defensive teams of the year.

In the end we still lost.

Perhaps it wasn't the fact that we lost, but rather it was who we lost to. The Flyers. The hated Flyers. The team, that is probably as much hated as the Pens. Ok, so maybe not. Pens will always be up there number 1. But the Flyers, are still up there. And losing to them was not going to be fun. It was as if the entire season rested on this game. It was as if my entire mood rested on the game.

Or perhaps it was more like

I didnt want to hear about any of the negative comments. I didnt want to hear that there it was, the reason that we won't be going to the cup finals. I didnt want to hear that Ovie can't produce, that the Caps can't produce. I didnt want to hear any of it.

When did I get like this? Seven years ago I barely knew anything about the game. I was riding the coat tails of my husband. I picked the guys he liked. Etc. And now?

Now as I sat there, I was trying to figure out who was more upset, my husband, the man who works for the Caps organization or me.

And thats when I knew, somewhere along the line. I had gone from just your average hockey wife, who loved the team.

To an obsessed fan

No comments: