Pages

Wednesday, October 21, 2009

37 years of wedded bliss.

My parents are celebrating 37 years of marital bliss today. 37 years. In todays standards, that is pretty damn near impossible. And now that I am in my own marriage I find I appreciate and respect that. I know it wasn't easy. Looking back I wonder how the in the world they managed to stick through all the years. The bad ones as well as the good ones. I am not so blind to know that yes in fact they did have some rough spots. And I know they could have easily backed out, they could have called it quits so many times. But they didn't whether it was out of the needs of the children, one being a special needs child or admiration of each other or love. We will never truly now. But they have stuck it out. And they are still happy it seems. And whether they want to admit it or not. I don't think either could live without one another at this point.

I look at Andy currently on the phone. And think what its going to be like in thirty four years from now. Are we going to like our parents and still be there for one another. I hate to think that we will become just another statistic.

And then it led me to think why so many couples are just that. A statistic. And here is my take on it. Take it as you like. But I truly think people aren't willing to try. People think its going to be easy. Its going to be fairytales and happily ever after every day. And while we would all like to believe it. While we would all love to like like it. The simple truth is this, it isn't. Not everything is going to go your way. There are going to be days when you hate each other. Days when your going to fight and be mad at one another and what not. But those days are there to make you appreciate the wonderful days a lot more. The days when it is wonderful. And it is great. And you are so in love its disgusting. And you can't live without one another. Trust me the good days far outnumber the bad days.

But you must take the good with the bad. Its just the way it is.

Bottom line. Marriage is hard. Marriage is work.

And most people now and days don't want to hear it. Nor do they really want to work at it. So they give up. They decide it is easier to call it quits. Pack it up and walk away rather than stay and fight. But those that are willing to fight. Those that are willing to see past this stuff. Those that are willing to work, and take both the good and the bad.

Those are the ones that will make it.

Like my parents. God Bless them.
Have decided not to be a statistic.

And I don't plan on it either.

No comments: