Pages

Tuesday, January 27, 2009

A watched pot never boils.

And yet, I feel as though, I am being watched. As though everyone is expecting me to have this kid at any moment, anywhere. It’s not just my family - whom are anxious enough - but coworkers, friends even strangers I have never met seem to be watching my every movement afraid that I will pop out a kid in front of them.

I suppose it could happen.

I mean truthfully, we only have twelve days until the official due date. Which means we could technically have the kid at any given moment, but I am not fragile and I will tell someone should the time arrive.

Coworkers are terrified I am going to have the kid in the office. A few have offered to take me to the hospital should this happen. It is interesting to note that most of the ones that do offer are the last people I would want to take me, the kind of people that look for an excuse to get out of the office.

But it’s nice to have a backup plan I suppose.

Or they are afraid I will go into labor on the metro on the way to work. They come by my cube, exclaiming that they are waiting for the evening when they hear of a woman giving birth on a metro train. They say, "Well you could have it at a hockey game!" But at least a medical staff would be there. Not to mention an ambulance.

Because can’t you see that on the local eleven o’clock news.

And most of them think I am absolutely nuts for still continuing to work. I can’t tell you how many women here who have had children are telling me I need to just take off.

And do what?

Sit around and watch my stomach until it explodes? I mean the thought is nice (the staying home part, not my stomach exploding). But once I am home and not working I go on maternity leave. And since we don’t know when the baby is officially going to come, I could sit around for another two weeks waiting, wasting days that I would rather have after little one’s arrival.

What about working from home? Yes I can. From time to time, once a week if need be, but not for three weeks straight. I doubt my boss would go for that. Nor do I have enough work to keep me occupied for the next several weeks.

Which leaves me back to square one. Working as long as I can until little one decides to make his grand appearance.

Until then, my pot will continue to boil….

No comments: