Pages

Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Little Earthquakes.

If you would have asked me yesterday morning if I would soon find myself, along with a good portion of the East Coast in the middle of an Earthquake. I probably would have laughed at you.

Well let me be the first to say I take it all back now.

It was right around lunch time. I had my microwaveable soup in nuking when one of my bosses, whom hasn't said so much of three words to me in about two and a half weeks actually spoke to me. Yes, that's right. He spoke. I grabbed my lunch headed back to my desk, where I just about tweeted the fact that I felt the Earth move when he spoke.

'OMG did you feel the ground shake? The boss just spoke to me. Did you feel it? Did ya, did ya?.' I had in the tweet ready box. I was about to push send when someone came up needing help, leaving me to abandon my tweet, and my lunch. By the time I returned to the box, the moment had past as did my tweet.

I finished my lunch and went back to doing the report that I had been doing before being interrupted. At this point nothing was unusual, it was still gorgeous, and other than the fact that all of a sudden everything was taking a lot longer to go through, it was business as usual.

And then, at 1:51 in the afternoon, the building began to shake. It was soft at first. My first thought was the construction site beside us was drilling. But the soft pounding soon became a low rumble, and I knew it was more than just a little construction beside us. No one around me said anything we were all just sitting. I said to myself, Earthquake, holy shit this is an earthquake. I know I probably should have climbed under my desk, covered my head. But instead I just sat there, staring at my screen... trying to get the tweet out.

holy cow Earthquake.

Maybe I should have been a little more scared. Probably, but I just sat there as the building shook, listening to the eerie sound of things swaying back and forth. I think it was the eeriest sound I have ever heard. I sat as the lights above flirted on and off, as the things around me toppled down. Stunned that here I was in the middle of SE DC going through something that will probably never happen again.

At least not in my lifetime.

It lasted for just about a minute and when the tremors finally stopped, I realized our building hadn't officially. And despite the fact I said I wasn't scared. I was shaking. Did I just go through that? Moments later they yanked us out of the building, informing us it wasn't safe and I made my way down the four flights of stairs and out to the parking lot where I stared up at my fourth floor office waiting for something to fall.

It never did. Still they weren't about to have us return any time soon, so I did my best to get a hold of people. My mom for instance who I knew would be having a fit, my husband. Neither of whom I got a hold of right away. I texted my sister in NC only to realize they had been through the same thing, though not as strong.

My husband finally got a hold of me, he was already back in his office watching the television, which by now every station in America was covering it. A 5.8 magnitude, nothing major to those west coasters but pretty big to those of us back here. It was felt from GA to Canada, and was centered in VA. Great.

It took my company a little over a half hour before they allowed us back in and by that time half the city was already being evacuated.

Precautionary measures.

And while my company didn't officially close, Andy's did, and since we carpool, we both found ourselves scooting out of the city with the rest. We sat in traffic and listened to the local radio station as citizens recalled their experiences, which all seemed to be the same after the fifth caller. And when we got home we sat in front of the television where the news overplayed everything.

Over and over. Just in case, you were the one sole person who lived in that cave and may have missed it.

Well @sweetaleisha, to answer your own tweet. Yes, yes I did feel the ground shake.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I must say that I missed it. My father told me that I should be thankful that I missed it because it's not something that he wanted to experience again. My little sister, on the other hand, said it was "the coolest thing ever" or something like that. I'm just shocked that so many people felt it and there I was ON THE FLOOR during that time measuring rugs and didn't feel a thing. I think that I'm slightly disappointed that this freakish natural occurrence happened and I missed it! I'm glad that you're okay, as is your hubby, and nothing happened to your buildings.