Pages

Tuesday, November 16, 2010

A future hockey mom.

I admit in a million years I never thought I would even consider that someday I would be a hockey mom. And yet, I am pretty sure that is where I am heading. Even if my son is not even two years.

This of course I assume is to be expected. Given the fact that daddy has so much influence in the sport. I mean after all, its a pretty much sleep, eat and breath event around the house. So what else would expect? Really? However what I didn't expect was that my not even two year old son would pick up a hockey stick, no matter where we are at and continuously say 'hockey. goal, hit, drop.' until everyone around him knows where he stands. He plays the sport around the house and even if I am not the most expert person when it comes to what classifies someone as a good player or bad I will not be blind to recognize that at the age my son is, he does hold the stick rather well and has an amazing shot. Keep in mind, he is only 21 months. Even the kids coordination is quite impressive.

I always thought that my kid(s) would be involved in something. Even in my head dreamt of a little ballerina girl since I love dancing so much. Or maybe soccer sure. What little kid doesn't start their sports day with this? Or maybe football. Yes for sure football. But hockey? Never. Then again, before I met my husband I watched the sport but knew nothing much of it, didn't understand the rules or what was really going on. So why should I expect or even consider to be the next hockey mom?

Soccer mom yes. But not a hockey mom.

And yet, it looks like I could very well be heading down that path. My mornings will be filled sitting on a cold hard benches clutching my morning caffeine in my hands. The smell of that musty old hockey equipment forever burned in my car..If you ask my husband there could be worse things to be and I suppose he is right there. Because you can bet, even if I hate the cold, if I can't stand it what so ever. You better bet, I will be there screaming my head off, cheering on my son at every practice, every game. And at every goal he scores.

I just need to invest in some really great gloves in the meantime.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

At the Devils game last week, I turned to Mike in between screaming my head off and told him that if we ever have a son that decides to play hockey, he better go to the games. I will be the mother who is banned from the rink. It's a lot of work being a hockey mom--I see it with my SIL. 5AM practices and sometimes two games in one day. Phew! Who knows...maybe we'll see your little Logan out on the Caps rink one day.