Pages

Tuesday, March 9, 2010

First buds.

It happens about this time, every year. Give a day, a week or two of course. It's the first day when you can roll down your windows. When the sun is actually shinning, and warm enough that you can feel it through the window. The kind of day, when you know that the long winter months have finally given way to the approaching spring.

The kind of day, like yesterday.

Now I realize for some, this day doesn't mean anything. After all, its just another day. Especially considering it was a Monday. Definitely. because it was a Monday. But to me, this was a turning point. The point when I know flip flops are soon coming. Days of freezing my ass off while I wait for the companys van will soon be a distant memory. The days will get longer, and nights will get shorter.

I live for this sort of turning point.

And as I do at this time every year. On the first day that I can. I do my ritual. Because it wouldn't be the first day of warm weather without it. I slide into my car, a black protege for now. I close my eyes, believing for a moment that it is not just a little Civic wanna be, but rather a mighty sports car. Believing that I am somewhere on the coast, Florida to be exact. I turn up my volume and blast Kenny Chesney, who is the definition of summer. I sit through traffic and actually smile at others who like myself are stuck. Its one of the few days where I don't mind sitting in traffic. In fact I crave it. I welcome it. I purposely go out of my way to find the closest 7-11, which thankfully isn't to far away from my house. And there I rush to the back of the store, and pick up what is my first Slurpee of the season.

I smile as I get back into my car, once again rolling down my 'sports car' windows. I blast my music.

I close my eyes and lean my head back against the rest. And as I sip on that Slurpee, life my friends is good...

Even in my Civic wannabe...

No comments: